How does one migrate from one version of Xampp to the next.

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Have you ever moved from an older version of XAMPP to a newer one before on a working server?

Nope, I just got going and am using what I installed.
100%
Yep, a time or two.
No votes
All the time, I constantly stay on the edge!
No votes

Total votes : 1

How does one migrate from one version of Xampp to the next.

Postby robertlankford » 13. April 2005 15:21

Poking around the FAQs and the forum here, I haven't seen this addressed at all, so I thought I would ask. If I've installed an older version of XAMPP, used it and placed working data into MySQL, how do I think upgrade to the next version of XAMPP safely?

I use a Windows computer (NT on one and XP on another). I installed XAMPP using the installer programs. I'm sure I'm just being naive and ignorant here, but what do I do when I upgrade:

1) Just download and install the latest XAMPP package. Everything will then be fine.

2) Don't ever download and install XAMPP again. If you want to upgrade Apache, download and install it safely. MySQL, PHP, etc. -- same thing.

3) Export your data from MySQL (backup?), backup htdocs folder. Uninstall XAMPP. Download/install latest XAMPP. Import data that was backed up before.

4) Some other process entirely that I'm not even thinking of.

Thanks in advance.
robertlankford

Postby Dave_L » 13. April 2005 17:32

I haven't done an XAMPP upgrade yet. I'm still using 1.4.9, since it most closely matches the versions on my web server accounts.

But I would probably use method #3, and instead of backing up only the MySQL data and the htdocs directory, I would backup the entire XAMPP directory first, and afterwards use a file comparision tool (I use BeyondCompare) to merge my changes back in.

The MySQL databases should be backed up as .sql files, instead of, or in addition to, backing up the raw data files, since if you're upgrading MySQL, the old and new versions might not be binary-compatible. The mysqldump shell command or phpMyAdmin's export function can be used for this.
Dave_L

Postby prathapml » 13. April 2005 19:57

1. Backup the known directories in htdocs (because some parts of it get updated with a newer xampp).
2. Backup "\mysql\data\" directory.
3. Now just remove/uninstall the xampp folders completely.
4. Do a clean install of the new version, and restore back what you had taken in steps 1&2.
This way, no slowing, conflicts, lost features, etc.

And that is how I do it.
prathapml

Good Method

Postby robertlankford » 14. April 2005 00:25

prathapml wrote:1. Backup the known directories in htdocs (because some parts of it get updated with a newer xampp).
2. Backup "\mysql\data" directory.
3. Now just remove/uninstall the xampp folders completely.
4. Do a clean install of the new version, and restore back what you had taken in steps 1&2.
This way, no slowing, conflicts, lost features, etc.

And that is how I do it.

That's what I did, and it worked! :D

Thanks for the advice.
robertlankford

Postby Kroesss » 14. April 2005 10:34

Or you can download and install the upgrade-package...
Kroesss

Postby prathapml » 14. April 2005 12:57

Kroesss wrote:Or you can download and install the upgrade-package...
In my way, there's no slowing, conflicts, lost features, etc.

I *HAVE* tried the upgrade package. There's lot of potential problems there.
prathapml

Return to XAMPP for Windows