Xampp With a Router

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Xampp With a Router

Postby Shawni » 30. January 2005 03:38

I'm running a network through a router and when I try to go to my IP, it gives me the router setuppage rather then the apache hosted site....

Is there anyway I can fix this?

I've set port forwarding for 80... still nothing
Shawni

Postby forethought » 08. February 2005 16:59

What router are you using?

Can you access the website from your network by using the machine's local IP address (the 192.168.x.x one [unless you've changed it otherwise])?
forethought

Operating System: OS X 10.7.2

Postby Wiedmann » 08. February 2005 17:33

No.

when I try to go to my IP, it gives me the router setuppage rather then the apache hosted site....
I've set port forwarding for 80...

You can access your WAN-IP only from WAN (Internet) and not from your LAN.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby forethought » 08. February 2005 23:39

You can access your WAN-IP only from WAN (Internet) and not from your LAN.

Please clarify this statement, because as it stands it doesn't make sense.
forethought

Operating System: OS X 10.7.2

Postby taustin » 09. February 2005 00:02

Your router has seperate IP addresses for the public to see, and for your network behind it. The way routers are normally set up, for security reasons, you cannot access the public IP from the private side.
taustin

Postby phoenix » 09. February 2005 06:15

That depends on whether the router supports 'loopback'. My router has a loopback feature and that allows me to enter my public IP address and get to my web server from the LAN. You'd need to check your router manual to see if it supports that feature, if it doesn't then you can't use your public IP address for the server.
phoenix

Postby Naughty » 24. March 2005 10:17

I have a belkin 7230-4 and had the same problem.

I was using www.dynu.com to foward to my WAN IP. What I got was my setup home page!!!!

After a few days I eventually phoned belkin tech support and they said the router uses port 80 to display the setup page.

My solution was to port forward from my www.dynu.com account to port 8080 and then on my router I set up virtual server or port forwarding to send port 8080 to my LAN IP on port 80, therefore going around the port 80 setup on the router. It's working a treat!

It's a pity belkin are a little stupid thought because when you set up a preinstalled webserver config on port forward to actually sets port forward 80 to your LAN IP 80 which will never work because the setup page picks up the communcation.

Also with my router you can't open your WANIP (your modems IP with your ISP) and see your webpage, you have to goto a 3rd party computer to see it working. Try a mates or phone a friend.

Not sure if this helps, but you problem seemed very similar to mine.

Naughty
Naughty

Postby MasumX » 02. April 2005 02:10

Hi, how do i set up the router thingi and stuffs to run the webhosting?? i got "Netgear Router RP614" so can anyone kindly help me to set it up? thanks in advanced..
MasumX

Postby petitprince » 03. April 2005 14:10

That's absolutely normal! You will always end on your router if you access your 'external IP' (the one dynamically provided by your ISP) from inside your LAN. Nevertheless, people on the Internet will see the XAMPP if the router's port forwarding is set up correctly. If you want to test the server from within your LAN using the router's 'external IP', switch on a proxy server like JAP, http://anon.inf.tu-dresden.de/index_en.html.

petitprince
petitprince

Postby MasumX » 03. April 2005 23:25

hmm i did put the port forwarding correctly but..still not working :( so is it like my ISP company blocking the port 80? i think it is :( ..i can run it in different port? if so how do i do that?
MasumX

Postby petitprince » 04. April 2005 10:30

MasumX wrote:hmm i did put the port forwarding correctly but..still not working :( so is it like my ISP company blocking the port 80? i think it is :( ..i can run it in different port? if so how do i do that?

Once again, you will only see your XAMPP server on your external IP if you use something that accesses it from the outside, i.e. a proxy like JAP (see above). If you don't do this, it is completely normal that you end up on port 80 of your router, not of your server.

petitprince
Last edited by petitprince on 04. April 2005 10:38, edited 2 times in total.
petitprince

Postby petitprince » 04. April 2005 10:32

Wiedmann wrote:No.

Doch! ;-) By using an external http proxy within your browser.

petitprince
petitprince

Postby petitprince » 04. April 2005 10:36

Another solution would be to edit Windows' hosts.sam file by adding your server's IP within your LAN (probably something like 192.168.x.x) and the domain that it should resolve to. This will always resolve "www.yourdomain.com" to your server's IP within your LAN, but it is not suited for verifiying your accessability for the outside ...

petitprince
petitprince

Postby Kristian Marcroft » 04. April 2005 14:43

petitprince wrote:

Doch! ;-) By using an external http proxy within your browser.

petitprince

this is not a "fix" though, it's only a elegant way of getting around the problem. ;)

So long
KriS
Kristian Marcroft
AF Moderator

Postby petitprince » 04. April 2005 21:32

petitprince wrote:Doch! ;-) By using an external http proxy within your browser.

petitprince

Kristian Marcroft wrote:this is not a "fix" though, it's only a elegant way of getting around the problem. ;)

So long
KriS

O.k., you got me on this one, KriS! :-) But thanks nevertheless for calling it at least "elegant" - I mean, if you use a JAP cascade as a proxy, you even generate nice apache log entries from all over the world ... ;-)

petitprince
petitprince

Next

Return to XAMPP for Windows