Where do I place my PHP web site?

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Where do I place my PHP web site?

Postby rgalang » 02. April 2005 02:11

Greetings from Campbell, CA. First of all thanks to apachefriends for this wonderful application. I'm a web designer that is entering the new world of PHP and database driven web site. It's very exciting and I thank this group for getting me started on the right foot. If you ever need help testing/troubleshooting, don't hesitate to ask.

I have installed Xampp on my PC and have successfully used an existing site and placed it in the Xampp directory. PHP works fine. On the Mac, when I try to do a keyword search for Xampp, nothing shows up. There is no such directory. I wanted to test a web site to see if it works but don't know where to put it. I have successfully installed and turned on apache through the Terminal and can view http://localhost/.

There's probably an obvious answer but I am very new at this. Thanks in advance,

Raymond
rgalang

Postby Kristian Marcroft » 02. April 2005 08:41

Hi,

your files have to be put into /usr/local/xampp/htdocs
Now this is quite hard to reach from the GUI.

This is why we are currently trying to relocate XAMPP.
We are having quite some Problems though.

If you know what you are doing, you can try to relocate the htdocs to somewhere, that you have access to via GUI.

So long
KriS
Last edited by Kristian Marcroft on 04. April 2005 07:46, edited 1 time in total.
Kristian Marcroft
AF Moderator

i see...

Postby rgalang » 04. April 2005 04:19

In other words, I have to be able to reach that directory through the terminal? Copy files through the unix terminal as well?

That's definitely beyond my comprehension. I would have to learn unix commands... right? I am looking forward to your GUI version. Thanks for the response.

Raymond
rgalang

Postby Kristian Marcroft » 04. April 2005 07:49

Hi,

no problem.
We hope to release a new version soon.
If there are no more to big problems to be solved.
We are not sure if the next version will already include the GUI.
But it will be relocated, so you can reach xampp via your "Finder".

We are not yet so firm on MacOS X so we are also learning what is possible and what is not.

The more feedback we get the better.

Thank you

So long
KriS
Kristian Marcroft
AF Moderator

Just an overall observation from 10 years of experience.

Postby rgalang » 04. April 2005 18:20

As a web designer, we've had our advances in HTML editors (WYSYWIG) and also animation like Flash. We're learning that being well-rounded is extremely valuable as a web designer/ web developer. I'm embracing PHP because of it's accessiblity and all the great support on the internet. Setting up a database with XAMPP on my PC was an incredible break through. I bought a PC specifically to create a web server. Now that you have created XAMPP for the Mac, I am thrilled.

Yes, as one user here said. Us Mac guys are lazy. Not really, we've had our share of work. The magazines we read, the conferences we attend focus on User Interface Design/ Design and layout/ Latest trends. As we expand our skill set, the easy-to-use programs is what's going to help us move forward in the future. Of course, some things are better left with professional database engineers. But for web designers, (at least for me) I'm only interested in setting up a messageboard/ gallery running on PHP. And maybe a small database of products for a small company.

Thanks for listening,
Raymond
rgalang

Return to XAMPP for macOS