Mercury Setup Questions

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Mercury Setup Questions

Postby blacktie » 22. March 2005 21:02

First: Thanks to Apachefriends for creating such an excellent product bundle...and thanks for providing an english area in this forum too! :)

I have a few questions about the Mercury Mail setup...(I have read just about all of the threads on the topic...still have questions)

My config:

Win2k3 server
6 domains resolving to my IP
Port 25 is open on my router/firewall hub, I am unsure if my ISP blocks or filters it, but I believe it is open (how can I test?)
Entries in system32/drivers/etc/Hosts that resolve all names to my IP (including the "mail.mydomain.com" ones)
A, CNAME, and MX records on each example below:
mydomain.com MX 0 mail.mydomain.com
mydomain.com A 24.xxx.xxx.xxx (blanked out for my protection)
mail.mydomain.com A 24.xxx.xxx.xxx (blanked out for my protection)
www.mydomain.com CNAME mydomain.com

All domains resolve correctly on HTTP, so the DNS management is operating well.

I used mail.mydomain.com as my "internet name for this system"
I have my 2 ISP Name servers entered in the MercuryE "Name Servers"
I entered "mydomain.com" into the local domains on the core configuration (should this be mail.mydomain.com?...or should mydomain.com be in my hosts file?)

The symptoms:
I sent a mail from Mercury's file->send mail message and it works.

I sent a mail to an outside address, and it worked.

I sent a mail form an outside address to postmaster@mydomain.com, and it did not work.

I am sure I am missing something, but I can't seem to find out what it is...

Any help is greatly appreciated (then I can try to figure out how to get the other 5 domains accepting mail on the same server instance!)

thanks
blacktie

Postby blacktie » 24. March 2005 21:34

Disregard....because I am an idiot. I have it fixed now (as it turns out, I have win 2003 server's smtp running, and it was blocking mercury's use of the port...duh.) That explains why all of my port checking was fine.
blacktie

Return to XAMPP for Windows