mySQL question

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

mySQL question

Postby iliad2b » 18. March 2005 08:38

i can see that phpmyadmin creates a folder of my new database, instead of a file. if i wanted to access the database file, which one should i use from those that are inside the folder that phpmyadmin creates.

example:
i create a new database called colors
and
phpmyadmin creates a folder called colors
and
within this folder there is alot of files, but i don't know which file is the database.

any help is greatly appriciated
Hector
iliad2b

Postby Wiedmann » 18. March 2005 08:53

if i wanted to access the database file,

You should not access these files directly. To work with a database, you need a client program like phpMyAdmin or "/opt/lampp/bin/mysql".

phpmyadmin creates a folder of my new database, instead of a file.

phpMyAdmin does nothing. phpMyAdmin send a command to your MySQL-Sever. And the server create the db.

within this folder there is alot of files, but i don't know which file is the database.

For each database on folder. For each table a file. And then some files for the indexes and hash tables (mysqld internal use).
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby iliad2b » 19. March 2005 01:53

soooo if i wanted to tell a different application where my database is, how would i tell it?

example:
if i do a show database on
c:\blah\blah\blah\apachefriends\xampp\mysql\bin\mysql => show databse
it give me only one databse
test

so if i wanted to tell macromedia flash to use the test databse i would use the following directory structure
c:\blah\blah\blah\apachefriends\xampp\mysql\data\test

correct?

oh and one other question, the databases that i created with phymyadmin do not show when i do a show database command?

all light is greatly appriciated
Hector
iliad2b

Postby Dave_L » 19. March 2005 14:09

The databases visible are those that the current MySQL user has grants (permissions) to access.

By default, XAMPP gives anonymous access to the "test" database, so it's visible to everyone.

In general, you'll have to set up the MySQL grants. You can do this with phpMyAdmin, logged in as the MySQL root user.
Dave_L

Postby Wiedmann » 19. March 2005 14:51

so if i wanted to tell macromedia flash to use the test databse i would use the following directory structure
c:\blah\blah\blah\apachefriends\xampp\mysql\data\test

correct?

No. No other program as "mysqld" works direktly with the files in "\mysql\data".

Other programs must use the database through the server. These programs must know the hostname (like "localhost") so they can connect to the server.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Return to XAMPP for Windows