Murcury Setup

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Postby marcfeather » 08. March 2005 03:08

i did find out that bellsouth blocks outgoing on port 25, however does not mean that incoming works.. I did telnet://marcspad.com:25 and I do get a connection. I have 2 computers side by side 1)server 2)client. so if i am working on client to telnet i see on server in mercury under the smtp server window i see what ever i type on the client telnet window

does this mean i can port 25 in???
marcfeather

Postby taustin » 08. March 2005 17:21

marcfeather wrote:as for the MX record I have it setup with zoneedit.com (mail.marcspad.com = marcspad.com) I have all domains going through them ( bought domains from yahoo- dns forward to zoneedit then zoneedit forwards it to my static ip)

According to DNSstuff, your MX record is set to mail.marcspad.com, but there is no A record for mail.marcspad.com.
taustin

Postby marcfeather » 08. March 2005 17:28

okay this is where i get lost need help setting up mx then
marcfeather

Postby taustin » 08. March 2005 17:29

The stuff from Bellsouth is talking about blocking outgoing port 25, not incoming. That means you need to use the Mercury relaying client (MercuryC), rather than the end to end SMTP client (MercuryE). You activate that on the Configuration menu, under Protocol Modules. You have to restart Mercury before the changes take effect.

As far as testing is concerned, it may or may not tell you something to telnet from another machine on your local network. If Bellsouth is blocking incoming port 25, that wouldn't apply to any computer that is on your local network.

I couldn't get to marcspad.com from here, but I don't know if you have it on all the time. If you do, then it might be that Bellsouth is blocking incoming port 25.
taustin

Postby marcfeather » 08. March 2005 17:46

it is up and running full time. I know that incoming 25 is not blocked and I have changed from MercuryE to MercuryC for out going. It is the incoming I am have trouble with. I think most of my problem is coming form the fact that I dont have my zoneedit setup right...

try telnet://marcspad.com:25 now
marcfeather

Postby taustin » 08. March 2005 18:38

I still can't connect. Have you tested it from a computer that isn't local to the server?
taustin

Postby marcfeather » 08. March 2005 18:57

yes I can go to a friends house and connect by using url " telnet://marcspad.com:25

I did talk to Bellsoputh and they tell me that pot 25 is blocked oing out but in it is not

hum ....

it is funny I got apache, sql, php running with no prob. but then when I'm ready for email server I get so lost....

question..

Should I remove the MX from zoneedit? or should it be something other than mail.marcspad.com?

thank you for all of your replies
marcfeather

Postby marcfeather » 08. March 2005 18:59

when i connect telnet :25 i get a dos window with this in it...

220 localhost ESMTP server ready
marcfeather

Postby taustin » 08. March 2005 19:59

marcfeather wrote:Should I remove the MX from zoneedit? or should it be something other than mail.marcspad.com?

An MX record needs to point to an A record. It looks to me like you've got the MX record set up, but it points to an address that has no A record. You need to either create an A record that points to your IP address, or just change the MX to point to marcspad.com. Either will work.

marcfeather wrote:when i connect telnet :25 i get a dos window with this in it...

220 localhost ESMTP server ready

Ok, this might get a little complicated. When I try to telnet to marcspad.com from my normal desktop, I get exactly the same thing. The reason is that the anti-virus software I use intercepts all port 25 connections, in both directions, and acts as a proxy. And it won't actually attempt to connect to the address I'm trying to connect to until the transaction is complete. But if I try to telnet on a machine that doesn't have anti-virus software on it, it won't connect at all. (AV will intercept port 110, too, for POP3).

The odd thing is, if I telnet to port 110 (from a machine with no AV), I get in OK. At this point, I'm wondering if you're using a router, and port forwarding isn't set up correctly. Otherwise, it's an issue in Mercury somewhere.
taustin

Postby marcfeather » 08. March 2005 20:08

Yes I do use a Linksys Router. I have ports 80, 8000, 25, 21, 81, 3306, 110 all open. I will change the mx record with zoneedit to show marcspad.com and not mail.marcspad.com

I do see where you did telnet into marcspad.com with ip 208.57.##.##(did not want to post your ip in full)

1:54 my time was the time you connected

going to change mx now
marcfeather

Postby marcfeather » 08. March 2005 20:10

"mail.marcspad.com" will have the IP 65.6.154.35

this is what i am trying now, if you think i am wrong please inform
marcfeather

Postby marcfeather » 08. March 2005 20:14

okay so I did this and this time I did not get a error when I sent the email but now I have no idea where it went lol. I think I am on the right track and it would be a mercury setup issue now ( you think?)
marcfeather

Postby taustin » 08. March 2005 20:25

The MX record looks correct now. It points to a valid IP address.

I still can't connect on port 25. The log you see is probably the port 110 attempt.

The message you sent, if it arrived correctly, should be in the \mail\ folder inside where Mercury is, in a folder with the same name as the user name (marc, IIRC). In that folder you should be a password file, and one or more .cnm files that are messages. If they're not there, look in the queue directory (inside the Mercury directory) to see if it's hung up there.

You might also check the Manage Local Users screen to make sure the account you added "stuck." Sometimes, changes don't take properly on the Xampp install of Mercury, for reasons that have eluded everyone so far. Also, make sure under Mercury Core Module that the changes to the domain name(s) took.

Have you set any access restrictions in the MercuryS SMTP configuration? Like blocking IP addresses or something?
taustin

Postby marcfeather » 08. March 2005 20:36

hum..

I did find the directory named \marc and in this directory was just the password file.

I looked in all other \mail directory and no mail, did look in \queue

i dont think it did make into my computer.

I am going to send a few more to see

if it would help you direct me into the right direction I can give you temp access to the directories for mercury

just let me know and I will email you the link to it
marcfeather

Postby taustin » 08. March 2005 20:49

First, test to see if the account is working correctly. You can do this by going in to Mercury, in the File menu, Send Mail Message. Address it to the local user you want to test, type in a subject and some text in the body, and hit Send. Give it a minute or two, and check in the mail directory in \mail to make sure it's there. If it is, then the account is set up right.

After that, I don't know. I still can't connect on port 25. Are you sure you haven't restricted access to certain IPs or something?
taustin

PreviousNext

Return to XAMPP for Windows