Okay, it's installed but it doesn't seem to work...

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Okay, it's installed but it doesn't seem to work...

Postby Plusso » 07. February 2005 15:54

Hello there! :D

I have just installed XAMPP, but now I am having problems with actually getting it to work. This is what I have done so far:

1) After installing, I have started it up by pressing "xampp basic start". This brings up a screen in my web browser giving me a choice of languages.

2) I choose English, which then produces the following error:

3) I have also tested a basic page (eg: http://localhost/test.php ) which was placed within "C:\apachefriends\xampp\htdocs".

I again got the following error:

So, does anybody know what is happening here? :shock:

Thanks in advance.
Plusso

Postby Wiedmann » 07. February 2005 16:05

Your server is not running.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby Plusso » 07. February 2005 16:07

Thanks, but how do I run it?
Plusso

Postby Plusso » 08. February 2005 13:12

Wiedmann wrote:Your server is not running.

Anybody know what to do here?

:?:
Plusso

Host File?

Postby webmosher » 08. February 2005 15:31

It sounds to me like your host file is not setup correctly. You can quickly test this with the URL you are using. First, start up XAMPP. Then try the following URL http://127.0.0.1/test.php. You should see your PHP output.

If you don't, then your server definately is not running, find your Apache area of the XAMPP install, goto the logs directory and check the error log for startup problems.

If you get the page, you need to fix your HOSTS file. On the specific Windows XP system I am using, the file is C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS

If you can't find it there, simply search your base Windows install directory. It is usually somewhere in there in a SYSTEM directory. However, if it isn't there, you need to make one. Create a text file and put the following:

127.0.0.1 localhost

Save it as "HOSTS" with no file extension and put it in \WINDOWS\SYSTEM (Win98/95/ME) or \windows\system32 XP. You might need to restart to make it take effect, but test using your original URL and it should work.

A possible complication is that your hosts file might be full "corrupt" entries. Certain spyware likes to change your hosts file to point to their website instead of local files on your system. You might even see entries that point to common sites like Google and Yahoo to specific IP addresses. These are all bad things.

You can try removing these entries (I would remove them all), but the spyware is likely running as we speak. It will continually reset your hosts and cause lots of problems. You'll need to remove it to procede. Try out Spyware Search & Destroy (Free) to attempt to get rid of it, or Ad-Aware SE ($$) if this is the case.

If you do find alot of Spyware on your system, I strongly suggest replacing Internet Explorer with Firefox. I recently did so on all my home PC's and while my kids somehow seem to find the IE icon occasionally, my incidence of Spyware has dropped significantly.

Hope this helps...
webmosher

Postby Plusso » 09. February 2005 06:11

Hey mate, thanks for all this info! However, I am stuck after the first two paragraphs!

webmosher wrote:It sounds to me like your host file is not setup correctly. You can quickly test this with the URL you are using. First, start up XAMPP. Then try the following URL http://127.0.0.1/test.php. You should see your PHP output.

No luck, as expected.

By the way, am I meant to get an apachefriends logo at the bottom-right of my screen when I start XAMPP up?

webmosher wrote:If you don't, then your server definately is not running, find your Apache area of the XAMPP install, goto the logs directory and check the error log for startup problems.

I went to C:\apachefriends\xampp\apache\logs (that right?) and opened "error.log" up in Notepad (is this right?), then nothing showed up - the file is 0 bytes...

What’s the best way to read log files? Does Notepad suffice? :?:

And yeah, I was already onto Firefox. I’m doing something right! :wink:
Plusso

Postby webmosher » 09. February 2005 19:16

Interesting.... well, lets see if we can try getting Apache running by itself. Start out with the following:

Goto the XAMPP program group and perform "xampp basic stop" twice. It might give you some errors, but I am just trying to be sure that Apache is down.

Next, goto your "Start" menu and select "Run..."
Enter the command
Code: Select all
cmd

A DOS command window should appear, type
cd C:\apachefriends\xampp

Enter the command to start apache:
apache_start.bat

It should start up, and you should see something like
Diese Eingabeforderung nicht waehrend des Running beenden
Bitte erst bei einem gewollten Shutdown schliessen
Please close this command only for Shutdown
Apache 2 is starting ...

If it stays this way, try the URL's http://localhost and http://127.0.0.0

If you get an error, or it returns back to the prompt, send along that info and we'll try to figure out what is wrong. If the URL's work, maybe another component of XAMPP isn't working.

BTW, have you changed your Apache config file or PHP.ini file at all?
webmosher

Postby psyche » 10. February 2005 09:31

I am having the same issues after installing XAMPP and have tried all the above suggestions but no luck.

PC config is WinXP SP2 Home. XP Firewall is off, but Zone Alarm is on.

What should I try next?

Psy
psyche

Postby Plusso » 10. February 2005 09:40

Well, firstly I get this at startup:

That doesn't look right already. :?

Anyway, then I followed your instructions and tried the DOS command. I get this:

And the http://localhost and http://127.0.0.0 URLs aren't working.

Could it be due to my computer being on a router network?

webmosher wrote:BTW, have you changed your Apache config file or PHP.ini file at all?

Nope.
Plusso

Postby psyche » 10. February 2005 09:42

btw, after running apache_start.bat from the cmd window, it says:

(OS 10048)Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted. : make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:443 no listening sockets available, shutting down
Unable to open logs

The cmd window stayed open but when running it from the start menu, the cmd window closes automatically.

thx in advance
psy
psyche

Postby biFF » 10. February 2005 19:19

hi, i remember having this error with foxserv wich is cind of similar to xampp. the problem was that my anti virus program was blocking the ports so apache couldn't use them.
Right now i am however in the same pickle with xampp and i cant seem to get norton shut down properly. i think this might be the same as you are experiencing. any thoughts people?
biFF

Port blocking

Postby webmosher » 13. February 2005 14:40

I hadn't realized that you are running Windows 98. Something on your system is preventing ports from being allocated to the web server. Specifically, it looks like the Secure HTTP port 443 is either in use, or is being blocked. Likely culprits:

1) Firewall software is blocking the port allocation.
2) Anti-virus software is blocking.
3) You already have a server using that port. Do you have IIS or MS Personal Web Server installed?

Hope this helps...
webmosher

Postby k0rrupt_0ne » 13. February 2005 18:19

Hi i just had the exact same problem as you do. I found out that in my case it was a program called "Skype" that was using the same port as xampp. Once i shut it down it worked straight away. Maybe try that. Close some programs and see if it's that.
Hope you get it going again.

BTW - To the people who made XAMPP GOOD JOB and Thanks.
k0rrupt_0ne

Postby k0rrupt_0ne » 13. February 2005 19:25

Also i was wondering... is there a way to reconfig the apache in xampp to use a diffrent port?
k0rrupt_0ne

Postby Wiedmann » 13. February 2005 19:34

k0rrupt_0ne wrote:Also i was wondering... is there a way to reconfig the apache in xampp to use a diffrent port?

http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mp ... tml#listen
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Next

Return to XAMPP for Windows