About MEM USAGE for Apache.exe

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

About MEM USAGE for Apache.exe

Postby keisko » 02. February 2005 00:47

Hi..

I have P4 with 640 mb ram..

and Installed xampp (apache + php 4) on my computer with Windows 2003 server..
well, I have a website over internet.. It's works great! but sometimes apache.exe using 580-600 k of mem then my computer running very very very slow and HDD running always..!!! and I cant doing any job.. only my mouse working :)
However, I am killing apache.exe from task manager so everything going to normal!..

why dudes?
How can I solve this problem ??

Regards..
keisko

Postby keisko » 02. February 2005 16:29

I need help.... Please....
keisko

Postby keisko » 02. February 2005 19:39

It's hard for any answer ??
keisko

Postby keisko » 04. February 2005 16:48

Comon mods, admins and users.. I need help..

any ideaaaaaa???
keisko

Postby upgrade223 » 06. February 2005 00:30

Sorry to not offer much help, but do you mean 500-600 MB of memory? My XAMPP install is only taking up 300k-30000k (0.3MB-30 MB of Memory) on a WinXP SP2 machine w/2 GB and a 3200+ AthlonXP. As for the paging file...move the paging file to a different partition or preferably, a different disk. Look on Google for more info, I found this article in 10 seconds:
http://www.petri.co.il/pagefile_optimization.htm I have my main RAID(0) running off twin raptors, Apache from another SATA drive, and my page file on yet another raptor (no raid on this...by choice).

Best of luck...I'm having problems with a localhost/virtualhost issue, but I just can't bring myself to :.. for help too loudly :wink:
upgrade223

Postby Eraser__ » 06. February 2005 16:53

Hello Keisko ! Listen apache is not working so well on the win as it works on Linux, so my suggestion is, do the same I am going to do. Install IIS 6.0 on Your win 2003, and than install Mysql, so download PHP processor and install it so it configures for IIS 6.0 and put the databases in the Mysql and You will not have a problems with mem or paging file and you will be able to run php files. In case You get some problem that YOu cannot connect to database just CHECK the php.ini file which is placed in the system32 folder under WINDOWS folder. Belive me You will not have any problems.

Regards

Eraser
Eraser__

Postby keisko » 07. February 2005 22:27

upgrade223 wrote:Sorry to not offer much help, but do you mean 500-600 MB of memory? My XAMPP install is only taking up 300k-30000k (0.3MB-30 MB of Memory) on a WinXP SP2 machine w/2 GB and a 3200+ AthlonXP. As for the paging file...move the paging file to a different partition or preferably, a different disk. Look on Google for more info, I found this article in 10 seconds:
http://www.petri.co.il/pagefile_optimization.htm I have my main RAID(0) running off twin raptors, Apache from another SATA drive, and my page file on yet another raptor (no raid on this...by choice).

Best of luck...I'm having problems with a localhost/virtualhost issue, but I just can't bring myself to :.. for help too loudly :wink:

Thankk you dude..
keisko

Postby keisko » 07. February 2005 22:29

Eraser__ wrote:Hello Keisko ! Listen apache is not working so well on the win as it works on Linux, so my suggestion is, do the same I am going to do. Install IIS 6.0 on Your win 2003, and than install Mysql, so download PHP processor and install it so it configures for IIS 6.0 and put the databases in the Mysql and You will not have a problems with mem or paging file and you will be able to run php files. In case You get some problem that YOu cannot connect to database just CHECK the php.ini file which is placed in the system32 folder under WINDOWS folder. Belive me You will not have any problems.

Regards

Eraser

Yes dude.. I know.. xampp is suck with windows :) However, I am an windows user since 1996 :)

Thank you ...
keisko

Postby webmosher » 08. February 2005 16:33

Keisko,

Its really hard to say what is the problem without seeing the box in person. You have to ask what your website is doing to hog all the memory resources.

What type of site are you running? Is it PHP (dynamic pages) or simple static HTML?
A dynamic site requires more resources. If you are running a popular site, it will get bogged down under the weight of dynamic scripting.

If dynamic, what type of site are you running?
Certain types of dynamic sites (PHPNuke, etc) are known to be resource intensive. Other sites can illicit gradual memory leaks (in Windows) in the embedded interpreters. Does the website recover if you restart it, or does it just jump right back to 500MB? If it is starting at 500MB, you either are loading a heavyweight (or miscompiled) module, or your Apache has become configured to pre-allocate a ton of resources.

There are ways to get around dynamic performance, but most are UNIX solutions. If your site code is doing stuff like generating images, performing lots of SQL calls, or doing lots of filesystem I/O, you are going to see gaps in performance. Front-end proxy caching can aid to reduce some of that load, but you lose some dynamic-ism.

Keep in mind that Windows itself will eat alot of your RAM. XAMPP does not get as much of that 640MB as you might think. You say Win2k3, so this big boy is probably sucking down almost half of your physical RAM. If your Apache is reporting 500MB used, its definately thrashing in the swap. Is 500MB all the Apache processes combined? This isn't that unusual for a moderately popular site.

Are you doing other things with this box?
Is this a dedicated server, or is it doing other things. Another possibility is offloading the SQL server and any other processing to another box to give the web server more room. You can also build another box and put a load balancer in front of the two to offload the performance to a pool of systems.

Is the site popular?
A popular site means lots of load, especially in memory. Popular dedicated web servers often have 2-4GB of memory and can be pooled to reallocate resources.

Do you have some sort of memory caching enabled in the interpreter?
You might have alot of code cached in memory (mmcache), causing the usage to rise. Apache proxy caching might also cause this. These things are not enabled
in XAMPP out of the box, so you would have had to enable them.

There is some buggy management of memory or process in one of of the Apache modules
I recently was testing some Ruby code (Rails) using FastCGI. I noticed that the interpretter for Ruby grabbed about 100MB of RAM right off the bat. It sort of stabilized, but I could tell if I hit the other Apache process, it would have sucked up another 100MB block. It seems odd that the interpretter needed that much RAM, but from what I can tell, this is an issue with FastCGI on the windows platform. I could fix it in Linux.

Someone may be DDOS attacking your site. These things happen. Assess the situation and talk to your ISP.

Apache on WIN might have problems, but I have run a development system for days and not had significant problems. Of course, I personally would never run a production web site on a Windows server of any kind.

I think that its very possible your site may have gotten too big for its britches, and is oversourcing your Windows machine. Like it or not, UNIX OS generally handle the XAMPP software components more elegantly and will work better with the same resources. If you have to stay on Windows, you'll need to go with a dedicated Windows solution... like IIS.

Sorry that I can't be more help...
webmosher

Postby jchapel » 09. February 2005 07:41

Sorry that I can't be more help...

You went above and beyond the call... thank you for this
and that was obviously your short list.

My answer was "alot of things can go wrong with a server"

As a windows user since it's inception, I am aware of it's limitations and your advise is certainly correct. For a network designed on UNIX systems it is best to use Unix based servers.
J Chapel
The application server in my pocket runs on XAMPP
XAMPP Demo http://xampp.no-ip.info
ZPANEL Demo http://zpanel.no-ip.info
jchapel

Postby keisko » 13. February 2005 01:15

Thank you guys (USERS!) for replys..

I have uninstalled xampp! I have installed appserv.. everything is fine and fast now.. no more memory problems.. I have solved my problem..
Xampp is suck with windows based systems..

I have a popular website.. 1000 clicks per day....

Best regards...

P.s. the xampp story was end for me....
keisko

Postby scranmer » 11. August 2005 21:37

I think this is quite sad. Yes XAMPP is not brilliant on Win if you are using 300mhz cpu but thats because Linux is so much better at handeling resources where Win just throws more and more memory at it...

Anyway, does anyone know how to reduce the amount of memory being used by XAMPP? I am just using it (on a Windows laptop) to do development so only 1 real user at a time.

I know in apache/conf/httpd.conf you can set ThreadsPerChild lower (I have it at 8 ) and I know you can comment out PHP modules not being used (anyone have a list) any other tips?

TA

Si.

PS XAMPP rocks!
scranmer

XAMPP rocks!

Postby danny » 18. October 2005 18:20

First off all I can tell you that XAMPP rocks! That’s for sure !!!

The problem issue for windows 2003 together with Apache (and not XAMPP) is still not resolved by telling us that Linux is much better.

The main problem here is that all cached information is growing in the memory off windows 2003 and that it never cleans up itself.

Example?
This morning I have restarted the apache service (click stop & start in the XAMPP menu) around 8:00, now 13 ours later there is around 500MB memory used.
And is still building up until the memory is full ! (4 gig).
So every month i have some 30 GIG off traffic on my server.

But maybe we have to look at Microsoft for a solution because there is some difference between XP and 2003 server.

My config:
XAMPP with: Apache, Php, Mysql … (all standard plugins activated accept the mail function).
And NOT any web, dhcp service activated from the windows server.

I will look the world around to find some answer to this Apache conflict.

Before XAMPP I installed all web and sql services individual with the same Apache conflict.

Why choosing Win2003 server? Maybe to have a stable and secure server.

Note to all the XAMPP devloppers: It's realy great to have software like this! THANK YOU ! :wink:

Kind Regards Danny
danny

Postby danny » 20. October 2005 15:31

Still not found a permanent solution for this, but i keep looking for it.

Another problem is resolved, the next WINDOWS SERVER AcceptEx error
witch you will find in the error.log from Apache:

(OS 64)The specified network name is no longer available. : winnt_accept: Asynchronous AcceptEx failed.

Solution:
You can resolve it by changing the apache config file and look/change or add following lines:
EnableSendfile Off
EnableMMAP Off
Win32DisableAcceptEx

This is the most common but not correct solution.
Windows himself will give errors on "Win32DisableAcceptEx " in his log books.

So i have look again the world arround to find a better solution.

This has to be the correct solution:
Look again in the apache config file and search for next
#
# Listen: Allows you to bind Apache to specific IP addresses and/or
# ports, in addition to the default. See also the <VirtualHost>
# directive.
#
# Change this to Listen on specific IP addresses as shown below to
# prevent Apache from glomming onto all bound IP addresses (0.0.0.0)
#
#Listen yourdomain:80
Listen 80 (like it is standard in the script)

Remove IP adresses or domain names "Listen yourdomain:80"
and replace it with "Listen 80" only.

In this way apache can choose any network card off your server to resolve the AcceptEx request AND Windows will lead
Apache to the localhost (127.0.0.1) and AcceptEx get here his reply!
CU :wink: Danny

This is the nice result:
[Thu Oct 20 16:43:21 2005] [notice] Apache/2.0.54 (Win32) mod_ssl/2.0.54 OpenSSL/0.9.8 PHP/5.0.5 mod_autoindex_color configured -- resuming normal operations
[Thu Oct 20 16:43:21 2005] [notice] Server built: Jul 28 2005 18:10:37
[Thu Oct 20 16:43:21 2005] [notice] Parent: Created child process 2788
[Thu Oct 20 16:43:22 2005] [notice] Child 2788: Child process is running
[Thu Oct 20 16:43:22 2005] [notice] Child 2788: Acquired the start mutex.
[Thu Oct 20 16:43:22 2005] [notice] Child 2788: Starting 250 worker threads.
danny

Postby scranmer » 22. May 2006 15:26

opposite problem ?!?!

WHAT!!! I have now moved xampp from my old pc to a new pc for testing and now when I check the task manager I see NO memory being used. I have an intel p4 dual core with 2GB of memory but I can max out the cpu and mysql uses paging while the physical memory available never drops below 1610000 and the system cache never raises above 320400. Commit shows total 322300 limit 5081716 peak 334524.

I know its a windows problem not xampp/mysql...etc but anyone any idea on why this is or how to optimise it.

Cheers

Si.
scranmer

Next

Return to XAMPP for Windows