mercury mail doesnt like me

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Postby Fault » 01. February 2005 02:36

we.. i used to have mercury mail working on this pc im on. but i recently put xampp on my server pc xampp its self works. but mercury mail doesnt. its not sending any mail. the core lists the send and has ok after it but it wont send and everyso often itll comeback with stupid errors

Code: Select all
Mercury/32 Transport System, Full SMTP Client Module v4.01a,
Copyright (c) 1993-2003, David Harris, All Rights Reserved.

This product includes software developed by the University
of California, Berkeley and its contributors. Portions of this
program are copyright (c) 1999-2001, MurkWorks Inc,
http://www.murkworks.com

Current name service information:
Hosts file : C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
Domain :
Nameserver 1 : 255.255.255.255

19:39:37: processing job MO000160
Temporary error 249 (temporary MX resolution error) resolving 'msa.hinet.net'.
19:40:57: processing job MO000002
Temporary error 249 (temporary MX resolution error) resolving 'comcast.net'.
19:46:01: processing job MO00015F
Temporary error 249 (temporary MX resolution error) resolving 'msn.com'.
19:46:01: processing job MO00053A
19:48:25: processing job MO00053D
Temporary error 249 (temporary MX resolution error) resolving 'msn.com'.
19:48:25: processing job MO00053E

why wont it work now? it worked on this pc norton always scanned the mail then it was sent to the proper place but on my server pc it wont work. nothing gets sent.

there is no documentation on it either.

i went to see if it was a issue with my orouter but its not postcast confimred that with a mail send. however xampp wont work with anything but mercury/32 why? i dont know i tried a few other mail servers like postcast and the mail function wont work keeps giving me stupid errors about the smtp port and the thing in php,ini which IS SET to localhost.

please help, my using xampp now is soley base don the mail functions. it has what i need php and mysql wise but if i cant get the mail working then i cant use it.

thanks
Fault

Postby jchapel » 01. February 2005 19:27

I'm just getting started with Apache and "company" and I'm grateful to my Apachefriends for their hard work assembling this comprehensive easy install Xampp package. This is one of my first posts I had to get that in.

I do have Xampp and Mercury Mail behind a NAT router working on my Windows XP SP2 Home Edition laptop running Symantec's NIS on a DSL connection with a dynamic IP and have had no problems.

Configuring Mercury is not an issue. It seems to work right out of the box with Xampp. Where the problems come in is in configuring your PC, router, MX records, and poking a couple of holes in your pc's and routers firewalls.

The error you are getting is indicating Mercury is not able to get out to resolve the emails domain IP's or has a missing, bad or malfutioning MX record

Things to look out for:

Check ports 25 and 110 on the pc you just installed Mercury on.
You can easily scan them here http://www.grc.com/default.htm with the "shields up" link. Not a promo just a web based port scanner I used. There are others.

If they are not open you need to fight with Windows firewall and or Norton and your router to clear the way. This was my biggest hurdle, seems like I needed to open the ports in Windows firewall even though it was not on and I was using Norton. Getting through my router did not come easy either.

If the ports are open check your MX record here http://zoneedit.com/smtp.html
a web based email/SMTP tester

If it passes the test there, Mercury uses your ISP's Nameservers by default so you did not need to enter them, but Mercury seem to have a hard time with Windows DHCP and may not be able to determine them
on it's own. Go from Menu->Configuration->MercuryE SMTP Client then enter Nameservers IP's separated by comma

These were the humps I needed to get over.

If all else fails MercuryC will send mail through your ISP's mailserver
J Chapel
The application server in my pocket runs on XAMPP
XAMPP Demo http://xampp.no-ip.info
ZPANEL Demo http://zpanel.no-ip.info
jchapel

Postby Fault » 01. February 2005 19:50

the ports arent the issue as i tested them with postcast. it sends mail fine (it just doesnt work with xampp for somereason)

the settings are exactly the same as they were when i was setting it all up on this pc getting it ready for the move EXCEPT that LAN ip is different which shouldnt be a problem.

i just cant seem to figure out why its giving me such a hard time.... xampp (apache im perticular) seems to be interacting with it becuase i get no web errors for smtp and it gets the info and sends. its just nothing recieves it and every so often i get the error i reported.

and i really dont want to rely on my ISPs smtp becuase its slow thus why i got xampp becuz of its php mnysql AND smtp capabilities i was told
Fault

Postby taustin » 04. February 2005 18:31

The fact that you had trouble with other mail servers tells me that it's not Mercury, because Xampp (or any other flavor of apache/php) will work fine with absolutely any RFC compliant SMTP server.

What it looks like to me, from the log you included, is that your nameserver is set to 255.255.255.255, which is not a valid address for such a thing. I suspect the machine is using DCHP to get its IP address and gateway, which is fine, and it's nameserver addresses, which isn't always fine with Mercury. Try manually entering nameserver info in the Windows control panel under network connections.
taustin

Postby sckoh » 23. May 2005 15:26

Hello, taustin,
I got the same problem and have the below message according to you instructions at the prompt windows :

Default Server: kns.kornet.net
Address: 168.126.63.1

> set type=mx
> comcast.net
Server: kns.kornet.net

Non-authoritative answer:
comcast.net MX preference = 5, mail exchanger = gateway-s.comcast.net
comcast.net MX preference = 5, mail exchanger = gateway-r.comcast.net

comcast.net nameserver = dns01.jdc01.pa.comcast.net
comcast.net nameserver = dns02.jdc01.pa.comcast.net
gateway-s.comcast.net internet address = 204.127.202.26
gateway-s.comcast.net internet address = 63.240.76.26
gateway-r.comcast.net internet address = 216.148.227.126
gateway-r.comcast.net internet address = 204.127.198.26
dns01.jdc01.pa.comcast.net internet address = 68.87.96.3
dns02.jdc01.pa.comcast.net internet address = 68.87.96.4
>

In my case, local mails are delivered internally only and mailform accepts recipients for registered users only
(mails to external recipients are not sent and not accepted for recipients at mailform)

I have the below questions;
Core Module Config/General/
internet name for this system ==> localhost or www.myurl.com?

The below IP come out from my ISP. How can I use this info to Mercury Server?
-----------
Default Server: kns.kornet.net

Thank you very much in advance and I am looking forward to your reply.
sckoh

Postby taustin » 23. May 2005 16:45

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to do, or exactly what's not working. If Mercury isn't accepting email for non-local addresses, that's an issue with SMTP security, which is set up on the Connection Control tab of the Mercury SMTP Server page (on the Configuration menu). It sounds like you have relaying turned off (which is a good idea, if the internet at large can connect to this machine via SMTP).

The "Internet Name for this system" doesn't make a difference on this. That is the name the machine uses to announce itself with it connects to another machine, or another machine connects to it. It won't affect how PHP sends email at all.
taustin

Postby Dj_GL » 27. May 2005 10:10

Dj_GL

Return to XAMPP for Windows