FTP access to my server?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

FTP access to my server?

Postby totalshredder » 18. January 2005 20:44

Hey guys,

I have some friends who I am hosting files for on my server(that uses xampp). It is an interesting setup, where I have xampp on an older computer that is running linux, but store all of the files on a windows 2000 computer(I mounted my htdocs folder). Anyways, I want them to be able to access the files using FTP. but I want them to have to type in a username and password to be able to access them(or at least a password). What is the best way to get around to doing that?

Also, I really want to somehow change my MySQL password.

Thanks guys!! Give me all the possible tips you can think of ;)!!!

Luke
totalshredder

Postby Wiedmann » 18. January 2005 21:04

Anyways, I want them to be able to access the files using FTP.

FileZilla FTP Server (is inside the XAMPP package)

Also, I really want to somehow change my MySQL password.

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/faq-xam ... #password0
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby totalshredder » 18. January 2005 21:07

I figured that out, but how do I set it up? I'm completely clueless, like, I type in my outside IP address, and then the password that I set, and it stalls on "Connected, waiting for authentication" ... strange... Any help would be great!

Thanks for the MySQL stuff though
totalshredder

Postby HyE » 19. February 2005 03:28

I am looking for this setup help too please. thanks
HyE

FTP server

Postby skuipers » 20. February 2005 17:15

I am using a combination of XAMPP with Cerberus as ftp-server (http://www.cerberusftp.com/). This is because I already had an ftp-server running before I discovered XAMPP. So I didn't bother to install Filezilla.

Cerberus is very easy to handle; works within a few minutes. I have it running now for over a year and it has never failed. So my advise would be to give it a try.

Simon
skuipers

Postby phoenix » 21. February 2005 22:54

totalshredder wrote:I figured that out, but how do I set it up? I'm completely clueless, like, I type in my outside IP address, and then the password that I set, and it stalls on "Connected, waiting for authentication" ... strange... Any help would be great!

Thanks for the MySQL stuff though

If you're on a LAN with a router and trying to connect to your FTP server using your public IP address then you won't be able to do it unless the router supports 'loopback'. Not all routers have that feature so you'll have to use the IP address of your server or it's name. If you're testing from outside your LAN (i.e. from the internet) do you have port 21 forwarded to the IP address of your FTP server?

Regards

Bill
phoenix

Return to XAMPP for Windows