mysql: can't connect?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

mysql: can't connect?

Postby spengler » 11. January 2005 18:36

Hey there

For some reason, I can't connect to my MySQL server. The XAMPP Admin pages can't connect, I can't connect with SQLyog or the mySQL Confogurator.

I'm running WinXP Home SP2 with ZoneAlarm Free. I've allowed mySQL through the Win firewall (even manually opened port 3306) and allowed client and server access to both trusted and internet zones in ZoneAlarm. Any ideas of what I need to do to allow it to connect? Apache obviously works fine since I can view the XAMPP pages in my browser and the PHP files are being processed so I'm at a bit of a loss!
alanc
spengler

Postby taustin » 11. January 2005 19:20

Are you sure MySQL is running?
taustin

Postby spengler » 11. January 2005 20:00

Aye, it appears to be. mysqld.exe appears in my task manager anyway. I remembe, a long time ago, having a similar problem on another machine but I couldn't get the mysql service to run. This time it appears to run fine standalone but I can't connect to it :S
alanc
spengler

Postby taustin » 11. January 2005 22:26

I'd try turning off the XP firewall and ZoneAlarm, one at a time, completely, to see if it makes a difference. What specific error message are you getting?
taustin

Postby spengler » 12. January 2005 18:25

Hey again

Well, this is odd: I tried shutting down both the XP and ZA firewalls to no avail. However, I then removed ZA from startup and rebooted and it then worked. I have no idea why this happens because the ZA process is definitely killed when I shut it down... very, very odd!

So anyway, does anyone have any ideas on how I could get it to work with ZA? Anyone else had this experience?

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it!
alanc
spengler

Postby Wiedmann » 12. January 2005 18:46

I could get it to work with ZA

ZA isn't a good decision in combination with Apache (and MySQL)...
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby spengler » 12. January 2005 18:53

Ah that's a bit of a pain. The thing is, I only need to use the server for some light testing since I mainly use my FreeBSD box for anything important. Ach well, thanks anyway!
alanc
spengler

Return to XAMPP for Windows