Forum E-mail

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Forum E-mail

Postby foxxx428 » 21. December 2004 00:53

Hi, I'm new here. I've been using easyphp for about half a year now and switched over to xampp yesterday and I can't find one thing bad about this software. I do still have one problem that xampp didn't fix. I run an IPB Board instead of phpBB but the problem would be exactly the same for either. No matter what I do, I can't get the mail function to work at all. For example, when you register here, you get an e-mail that you have to click a link to activate your account. IPB works the same and I need for it to work. I have access to various different e-mail server softwares if that's what I need to do. Is there an easy way to do this? If not, can anyone explain the hard way? Any help would be much appreciated.
foxxx428

Re: Forum E-mail

Postby taustin » 21. December 2004 01:21

foxxx428 wrote:Hi, I'm new here. I've been using easyphp for about half a year now and switched over to xampp yesterday and I can't find one thing bad about this software. I do still have one problem that xampp didn't fix. I run an IPB Board instead of phpBB but the problem would be exactly the same for either. No matter what I do, I can't get the mail function to work at all. For example, when you register here, you get an e-mail that you have to click a link to activate your account. IPB works the same and I need for it to work. I have access to various different e-mail server softwares if that's what I need to do. Is there an easy way to do this? If not, can anyone explain the hard way? Any help would be much appreciated.

Getting email to work in Windows PHP is always a pain in the ass. The Windows version of PHP must use the SMTP email settings, rather than Sendmail, because Sendmail is not readily available for Windows (without paying a chunk of money). I think that Xampp defaults to configuring PHP for SMTP, but you need to set the MAIL FROM address in php.ini. This is in (assuming you used the default install path)

c:\apachefriends\xampp\apache\bin\php.ini

A little over half-way down is a section called [mail function]. It should look like this:

; For Win32 only.
SMTP = localhost

; For Win32 only.
sendmail_from = admin@whatever.com

The SMTP value is the address of the mail server you wish to send through. You can use a fully qualified domain name (mail.whatever.com) or an IP address.

The sendmail_from address is the address used in the MAIL FROM stage when PHP connects to an outgoing mail server to send email. If it's not set right, mail might be rejected by the security settings on the mail server.

If you have to use SMTP AUTH to send email through the server you want to use, you cannot use the PHP email fuctions directly, as they are not supported. But you can use Mercury, which comes with xampp, as a relay agent. PHP sends email to Mercury on the local machine, and Mercury sends it on to whatever mail server you want.

Depending on the scripting you are using, it may have seperate settings for sending email that override php.ini, as well. PHPbb does, I believe, for instance. Double check your settings there, as well, and make certain it is set to use SMTP rather than Sendmail.

Once you're sure all the settings are correct, if it still doesn't work, post the error you get.

[/b]
taustin

Postby foxxx428 » 21. December 2004 07:42

Thanks for the very fast reply but it's still a no go. As a last resort I set up Ice Warp Merak Mail Server Pro and put in my domain and the last two test e-mails I sent out quit giving me errors but I sure don't know where they went because they never did end up in my inbox. I suppose I'll just have to wait a few months until I get my Linux server set up. :(
foxxx428

Postby taustin » 21. December 2004 17:48

foxxx428 wrote:Thanks for the very fast reply but it's still a no go. As a last resort I set up Ice Warp Merak Mail Server Pro and put in my domain and the last two test e-mails I sent out quit giving me errors but I sure don't know where they went because they never did end up in my inbox. I suppose I'll just have to wait a few months until I get my Linux server set up. :(

What errors did you get? Getting errors on more than one mail server is usually an indication that your ISP is blocking stuff.
taustin

Postby adi99 » 21. December 2004 18:20

Hi,
I didn't understand the whole topic, but i hope if I gave your that Link, your Problems are going to hide.

http://netvicious.iespana.es/netvicious ... iRelay.zip

adi99
adi99

Postby foxxx428 » 21. December 2004 23:24

The only errors I got were in IPB itself and they didn't tell me anything.
IPB ERROR: No Info
SMTP CODE: No Info
SMTP ERROR: No Info

There are 2 things I'm unsure of. In my domain settings, it won't let me set MX but it will accept MXE (Mail Easy). The second thing is I have no idea what to put in for the mail to in apache. Also, I'm assuming that I should be using my ISP's mail servers?
foxxx428

Postby taustin » 22. December 2004 00:20

foxxx428 wrote:The only errors I got were in IPB itself and they didn't tell me anything.
IPB ERROR: No Info
SMTP CODE: No Info
SMTP ERROR: No Info

There are 2 things I'm unsure of. In my domain settings, it won't let me set MX but it will accept MXE (Mail Easy). The second thing is I have no idea what to put in for the mail to in apache. Also, I'm assuming that I should be using my ISP's mail servers?

You don't set MX for outgoing mail. MX records are part of the domain name records set by the owner of the domain name. In other words, hotmail.com's admins set the MX records for hotmail.com. There are two settings in php.ini (which I'm guessing is what you mean by "the mail to in apache") in the [mail function] section. The first is the mail server for outgoing mail. It can be either a fully qualified domain name (like mail.somewhere.com) or an IP address. The second is the email address to use in the MAIL FROM stage of sending the email (not to be confused with the From address inside the message headers). This should be your email address, especially if you're sending through your ISP's mail server.

If you're willing to use your ISP's mail server, that's the way to go.

The bulletin board scripting may have it's own email settings, however, that override the default settings in PHP (or even replace the PHP email stuff entirely - it's not especially good, in my experience).
taustin

Return to XAMPP for Windows