MySQL sometimes doesnt start.

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

MySQL sometimes doesnt start.

Postby Dave_L » 22. November 2004 04:33

I'm using XAMPP 1.4.9a on MEPIS 2004.04.

When I start XAMPP from a console window with the command "/opt/lampp/lampp start", everything starts up ok.

But I created a menu shortcut that executes that command. When I use that shortcut, Apache always starts, but sometimes MySQL doesn't start. When that happens, using the shortcut a second time seems to get MySQL to start.

Can you think of any reason for that? Do you think adding a time delay, e.g. "sleep 5", in the lampp script before starting MySQL might help?

Or if you have any suggestions on how I might diagnose the problem, that would be helpful.
Dave_L

Re: MySQL sometimes doesnt start.

Postby Oswald » 22. November 2004 09:28

Dear Dave!

Dave_L wrote:Can you think of any reason for that? Do you think adding a time delay, e.g. "sleep 5", in the lampp script before starting MySQL might help?

No. I don't thinks this will help. Apache and MySQL are not related in any way so MySQL should start with or without Apache.

Could you please take a look into the MySQL log file. You should find there some information about the failed start. You find the file in /opt/lampp/var/mysql/. It's the .err file.

Greetings
Oswald
Oswald
Apache Friends

Operating System: Linux

Postby Dave_L » 23. November 2004 09:41

Thanks.

I looked at that log file, but didn't see any recent error messages.

I've been trying to get the problem to reoccur, so I can recheck that, but now it seems to insist on working every time. :?

What I'd like to do is keep the terminal window open after the script runs, so I can see what it's doing. Here's a post I made about that, in case you have any ideas on how to do that: http://mepislovers.com/modules/newbb/vi ... 98&forum=9
Dave_L

Postby Dave_L » 02. December 2004 20:36

The problem reoccurred. I checked the .err file in /opt/lampp/var/mysql/, and there were no new messages.
Dave_L

Postby Oswald » 02. December 2004 21:09

Dear Dave!

If there are no new messages it's hardly looks like MySQL didn't even try to start at all. I'm not sure about your K menu item. I never used this way to start XAMPP so I don't have any experiences about it.

May be you can add a > /tmp/xamppstart.log 2>&1 at the end of the "Command" field (see your screen shot at the mepis lovers forum).

And if the problem reoccurs look into /tmp/xamppstart.log. Maybe there are some hints what's going wrong.

Greetings
Oswald

PS: I'm not sure if > ... 2>&1 is allowed to use in the command field. If XAMPP does not start any more please remove it again.
Oswald
Apache Friends

Postby Dave_L » 03. December 2004 01:51

Thanks, Oswald, I'll try your suggestions. :)

Since you don't use a menu shortcut, how do you normally start XAMPP? Do you open a console window and type the command "/opt/lampp/lampp start"? I guess I'm spoiled by Windows, and am used to clicking on shortcuts. :lol:
Dave_L

Postby Oswald » 03. December 2004 11:20

Dear Dave!

Yes. I use the command line way. But I always have a terminal window open so it's much easier for me to type the command than using the mouse to get into a menu. ;)

Greetings
Oswald
Oswald
Apache Friends

Return to XAMPP for Linux