Apache Friends' Web Server...for Dummies!

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Apache Friends' Web Server...for Dummies!

Postby XinXang » 24. November 2004 09:03

Hello,

I installed Xampp on a Windows NT system. At the time I had IIS serving web pages. I've gotten the Xampp splash page and done the check which says that everything is up and running. If I run http://127.0.0.1 I get "Page not found"

In which folder do I serve web pages now? and how do I configure Apache?

I really need a "for Dummies" explanation of what to do now, because I'm really not that bright. In fact I have been diagnosed with light mental retardation, but I am able to accomplish a lot more than many smart folks because with pure determination I will keep going until I get it working if someone will help me.

Thank you.
Boot Up. Log On. Go Anywhere. Learn Everything.
XinXang

Postby MacDaddy » 25. November 2004 02:21

make sure you uninstall ISS first. and then put your web pages into the htdocs folder and bingo ! eg. put a folder in htdocs like "test" and put a simple page into it and the goto http://localhost/test
MacDaddy

Postby XinXang » 25. November 2004 03:41

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. What is the location of the "htdocs" folder? Do I have to re-install Xampp after I uninstall IIS? What is the best way to completely re-install Xampp and just start over again (delete the Xampp folder is enough? or stop Apache and stop MySQL and then delete Xampp folder?)

Thank you.
XinXang

Postby MacDaddy » 26. November 2004 01:54

XinXang wrote:Hello,

Thank you for your reply. What is the location of the "htdocs" folder? Do I have to re-install Xampp after I uninstall IIS? What is the best way to completely re-install Xampp and just start over again (delete the Xampp folder is enough? or stop Apache and stop MySQL and then delete Xampp folder?)

Thank you.

you dont need to uninstall xampp just IIS and the htdocs folder is in C:\apachefriends\xampp or what ever drive you installed it into
MacDaddy

Postby XinXang » 27. November 2004 19:12

Hello MacDaddy,

Thank you I will try this.

Thank you.
XinXang

Postby XinXang » 03. December 2004 03:30

Hello MacDaddy,

Thank you so much. After some effort it worked. The confusion I discovered was that there was no way to uninstall IIS, because I think my computer was running Peer Web Services instead. I really do not know the answer, but I stopped the service and Xampp started working.

My problem is solved and I am very happy about it.

Thank you.
XinXang

Xampp on Windows

Postby XinXang » 03. December 2004 18:27

Hello,

I am trying to install Xampp on Windows 2000, but it is not working. I get this error:

This is a different machine than the first one that worked. The first one was NT. This is one is Windows 2000 Server. I stopped the IIS services completely. I stopped the Windows Media Services. I started and stopped Apache and MySQL. I re-installed Xampp. It is not working.

I would please like to request any suggestions about steps I can take for troubleshooting, because I do not know what I can do next.

Thank you.
XinXang

Postby Wiedmann » 03. December 2004 18:45

I stopped the IIS services completely.

Look at the last line of your picture. There you can see the server that serve this page.

And i think, in the cmd, Apache is telling you that another server allready runs.

BTW:
The cost for such a server you have is realy high. Why don't you want to use them and install XAMPP instead?
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby XinXang » 03. December 2004 20:12

Hello,

Yes, now I understand that it is the Internet Security and Acceleration Server that is interrupting my performance.

BTW:
The cost for such a server you have is realy high. Why don't you want to use them and install XAMPP instead?

I do not know. I really do not know. I only want to use PHP and MySQL and otherwise I do not know how to get them working properly except with Xampp. I actually have no idea how to configure ISA properly. Please if you can show me the way, I will do it.

Thank you.
XinXang

Postby XinXang » 03. December 2004 20:14

Hello,

Is it possible for me to leave Internet Security and Acceleration Server running on this machine, and configure it so that Apache can run together with it?

Thank you.
XinXang

Postby MacDaddy » 04. December 2004 12:30

XinXang wrote:Hello,

Yes, now I understand that it is the Internet Security and Acceleration Server that is interrupting my performance.

BTW:

I do not know. I really do not know. I only want to use PHP and MySQL and otherwise I do not know how to get them working properly except with Xampp. I actually have no idea how to configure ISA properly. Please if you can show me the way, I will do it.

Thank you.

look here : http://au2.php.net/manual/en/install.windows.iis.php
and just install MySQL normaly

ps. Googles is your friend ;)
MacDaddy

Postby XinXang » 04. December 2004 13:35

Hello,

This is what I get when I try to uninstall Internet Security and Acceleration Server:

and then I say yes:

Does anyone know how I can make ISA go away for a while just to see if my Xampp installation will run if ISA is not there?

Thank you.
XinXang

Return to XAMPP for Windows