FileZilla FTP Server: Aliases?

Alles, was den FileZilla betrifft, kann hier besprochen werden.

FileZilla FTP Server: Aliases?

Postby Oberdon » 09. November 2004 21:57

Hi

i have a little question:
in the filezilla server interface, you can setup users. there, under "shared folders" you can enter the directiories which should be accessible for the chosen user. You can add several dirs, in my example:
D:\Serverfiles\documentation
C:\personal files\pics
you can chose one as homedirectory. this dir will then appear connecting to the server e.g. with IE. but how can i get to the other (..\pics) folder?

And what is the meaning of the "aliases"? how to use them? i didn't really understand the hint there.

thanks
Oberdon

Postby Wiedmann » 10. November 2004 03:31

D:\Serverfiles\documentation
C:\personal files\pics
you can chose one as homedirectory. this dir will then appear connecting to the server e.g. with IE. but how can i get to the other (..\pics) folder?

This is not possible with a browser like IE. You need a real ftp client to do that (execute the command "cd").

And what is the meaning of the "aliases"? how to use them? i didn't really understand the hint there.

It's similar to an alias in Apache.

Example:
Your homedir ("/") is "D:\Serverfiles\documentation" and you get this folder if you go to the location "ftp://localhost/".

With an alias, you can make a mapping from the real folder "C:\personal files\pics" to "/pics". Now you can access this folder with "ftp://localhost/pics/".
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby Oberdon » 10. November 2004 17:24

thanks for the anwser.
i don't understand the alias thing 100%. i see how it should work, but i don't have a clue what i have to write in the boxes.

example:

Code: Select all
Directories                                      Aliases
(H) D:\Serverfiles\documentation           
C:\personal files\pics                           ?????
Oberdon

Postby Wiedmann » 10. November 2004 17:50

Oberdon wrote:Directories -> Aliases
D:\Serverfiles\documentation -> - (H)
C:\personal files\pics -> ?????

Wiedmann wrote:With an alias, you can make a mapping from the real folder "C:\personal files\pics" to "/pics".
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby Oberdon » 13. November 2004 22:33

but if i enter there "/pics" it doesnt work. When I enter in the browser 127.0.0.1/pics an error occurs. a message appears, that i don't have the permission to access this page. but all the security settings are correct.
Oberdon

Re: FileZilla FTP Server: Aliases?

Postby dznytoy » 26. March 2009 01:31

Every time I try it with the path (d:\whatever) it never works. To get it to work I just put in /and the alias name (/whatever). The location you are trying to connect to is already assigned a path when you add it to the list. The alias is just a name to reference that folder. Example would be D:\downloads for the directory and /stuff as the alias to this directory. In the client you would type "cd /stuff" (you should know by now no quotation marks when you enter this) and a folder named stuff would appear in the list of folders currently listed from your home directory, and inside that folder named stuff you would find the files that are located in D:\downloads.

Also, in IE to get to an alias folder all you have to do is login to the FTP site as usual and at the end of the address put in the alias. Example ftp://any.ftpsite.org is the address to get to the home directory to get to an alias directory just change the address to ftp://any.ftpsite.org/stuff(stuff being the alias name you are trying to access).

I hope this helps someone.

Dznytoy
dznytoy

Return to FileZilla