Xampp and SSI

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Xampp and SSI

Postby Arno » 19. October 2004 15:00

I put this also in the German version, but since my German isn't what it used to be, I might've misformulated my problem.

I installed Xampp 1.4.9 recently, to be able to view my .shtml pages containing SSI offline.
After installing Xampp, I found that everything's working, except the SSI part. It doesn't show the parts of my page that are imported with SSI offline.
PHP and everything else does.

I tried running the ssi.html file which is in the htdocs/xampp, but that doesn't work either. It shows a blank screen.

Did I do something wrong? Or didn't I do something that I'm supposed to do?

Advise would be appreciated.
Arno

Postby vkaryl » 24. October 2004 22:13

I've exactly this same problem. It's hopefully something simple to correct....
"NOTHING is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool!"
vkaryl

Postby vkaryl » 25. October 2004 20:20

Well, something not TOO difficult, just that one's definitions and expectations are sometimes at fault and out of whack....

I did a lot of reading, re-reading, searching, etc. and here's what I did finally:

Since I was pretty sure it was just me missing something, I wasn't surprised to discover that was exactly the case. It's something off with the paths to and from the site folder and document root according to the apache install. I tested by moving the folder with the files I need to see on localhost INTO the htdocs folder. Works like a charm.

I'm pretty sure that there's some way to "reconfigure" the paths so that I don't have to have the pertinent folder in the htdocs folder, but that's a dig-around-for-info for another time.... this gets me what I want right now, which was the important thing.
vkaryl

Postby Arno » 25. October 2004 20:33

I tried putting everything in the htdocs, but that didn't work for me.
The example ssi.html in the htdocs doesn't even work.
Arno

Postby vkaryl » 26. October 2004 00:43

In that case it's logically some other config problem. You should probably first uninstall then reboot, then do a clean reinstall, then reboot. See what sort of error messages you get (you might want to leave your folders in their original paths to begin with - in other words, go clear back to square one....)

Make sure after you reinstall that you can access the Xampp "choose your language" splash page in your browser of choice. If not, be sure you've used the "install as service" batch file included (assuming Win XP Pro here - if you are using some other flavor of Win32, I haven't a clue and can't help you much....) and then open Administrative Tools from Control Panel to verify that apache is started as a service (double-click on the apache service line to make sure that it's set to automatic start....)

Sometimes you have to shutdown/restart several times before Windows gets it right y'know, so try that trick too. Then open some browser BESIDES IE, and input "http://localhost/*path to ssi.html" (can't get more specific than that - I don't have that particular file in my installation); I NEVER test stuff like this in IE because it's just so totally broken.... if you don't have another browser, go download Firefox 1.0 Preview Release at www.mozilla.org...

Then of course, if you're still stuck, it's time to do some searching and see what httpd.conf lines you might need to tweak. Repost here if you need to do some more of that, and I'll try to give you a list of links to tweaks I tried (none of which it turned out were necessary.... oh well....)

Good luck!
vkaryl

Postby Arno » 26. October 2004 18:09

Did that.

SSI Status says "activated", I copied the whole folder into the htdocs folder, but to no avail.

Running Firefox already, btw.
Arno

Postby Wiedmann » 26. October 2004 18:45

Arno wrote:The example ssi.html in the htdocs doesn't even work.

Arno wrote:SSI Status says "activated"

What is correct now?
--> SSI Status uses "ssi.shtml"!
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby Arno » 26. October 2004 19:20

I understand that!
But if I open the ssi.html, I'm SUPPOSED to see the word OK, which is the file that is imported according to the include.

But when I open the ssi.html, I get a fully white screen, no text, nothing.

So WHAT is correct?
Arno

Postby Wiedmann » 26. October 2004 19:50

But when I open the ssi.html, I get a fully white screen, no text, nothing.

How did you open the document "ssi.shtml"?
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby Arno » 26. October 2004 19:57

First I opened the Xampp server program thingy, then double clicked the ssi.html from the htdocs folder.
Arno

Postby Wiedmann » 26. October 2004 20:04

OK.

Like PHP, SSI (Server Side Includes) is a serverside technology. And so, you must open such documents through the server: "http://servername/path/document.shtml".

I think, it's a good idea for you to read the Apache Tutorial:
Introduction to Server Side Includes
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby Arno » 27. October 2004 16:31

That was indeed a good idea :oops:
Now it works :D
Arno

Postby Arno » 30. October 2004 13:52

So now that I got it working, I have another question.

This is part of the httpd.conf:

#
# DocumentRoot: The directory out of which you will serve your
# documents. By default, all requests are taken from this directory, but
# symbolic links and aliases may be used to point to other locations.
#
DocumentRoot "E:/xxxxxx"

Where, for xxxxxx, I have the directory which is supposed to be run with the SSI stuff.

Can I put here several paths, or does this line allow only one path?

I'm wondering this, because if I have two main directories, which both have an include folder to be checked for ssi, I would want to have the include folder in E:/directory1/include and E:/directory2/include, and not have them in E:/include
Arno

Return to XAMPP for Windows