Xampp for Windows 32 bit

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Xampp for Windows 32 bit

Postby julie_steffers » 05. August 2022 14:55

I use Xampp on my windows 7 64 bit desktop and I love it. I want to run Xampp on my Windows 10 32 bit laptop but I need a php version of 7.4 or higher. Where can I find one please. I tried to upgrade the php version from 7.3 to 7.4 or 8 without success. I tried everything step by step https://www.coderchamp.com/update-php-in-xampp-and-composer/#:~:text=Download%20PHP%20from%20the%20latest%20Xampp%3A&text=Extract%20the%20folder%20and%20copy,That's%20it! but Apache wont start. I get an error message that it could be a blocked port.

Many thanks in advance
julie_steffers

XAMPP version: 3.3.0
Operating System: Windows 7

Re: Xampp for Windows 32 bit

Postby Froosh » 06. August 2022 14:44

For starters, I know nothing about setting up XAMPP on Windows 32-bit. That said, based on the limited information above, it would appear that Apache is not starting. Apache uses PHP, but just because Apache is not starting, it is not necessarily due to PHP. The message on the XAMPP Control Panel is indicating that Apache could not be started and little more. You need to review the various log files to research more on the possible cause.

You mentioned that you tried updating from PHP 7.3, 7.4, 8 without luck, but if I am reading your question properly, you want to get a PHP version of 7.4 or higher, and want to know where you can find one? Not really sure I am understanding this fully. I have not installed PHP separately from XAMPP, but if you go to https://www.php.net/download you should be able to find an appropriate 32-bit version to download. Installing that separately may require that you make configuration changes to get it to work with XAMPP, but that is just a guess on my part. Note also that in the sidebar on the PHP download page, it mentions getting PHP for Apache under "Which version do I choose?"

You likely noticed that the downloads for Linux, OS X, and Windows available on Apache Friends are all 64-bit, and that, if you dig enough you can find older 32-bit version of XAMPP under more downloads. They are there, but you have to dig a bit to find them.

Me, personally? I would look to getting a new 64-bit setup, and not be bothered with cobbling together my environment. While it can be fun to get things to work with putting the pieces together, you can also run into a lot of frustration along the way.

Best of luck.
Froosh

XAMPP version: 8.2.0
Operating System: Windows 11 Pro

Re: Xampp for Windows 32 bit

Postby julie_steffers » 10. August 2022 10:02

Thanks for your reply.

You understand my question 100%. Your reply is very comprehensive and I see you took a lot of effort to deal with my question and I really appreciate it.

I will play around a bit and consider everything to you told me.

Thank you so much.

Best wishes
julie_steffers

XAMPP version: 3.3.0
Operating System: Windows 7

Return to XAMPP for Windows