Installed and now what?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Installed and now what?

Postby foxmulder » 20. June 2004 13:19

Ok, it installed and it works...

Now I want to configure my own stuff...

Why isn't there a basic "getting started with youw own site" tutorial?????

The faq isn't very usefull... :cry:

What I would like is to have my own webroot, but still be able to use the default admin stuff and docs!!

How do I do that???? Seriously: after installing it your completely left to your own devices!!!

Also: I think the install should ask and install (your own) passwords for the PHPadmin and MySQL !!!

IT IS SERIOUSLY UNSAFE TO HAVE NO DEFAULT PASSWORDS!!!!!! :evil:

Including Webmin as well would be good idea I think?

Other questions:

- How do I make stuff (apache) run as a service (so I don not use the batch)
- Does it start all other stuff (mail, ftp etc..) as well? And how unsafe is that?
- Uninstall leaves everything on disk!!!! It should be deleted!!!!
---------------------------------------
"Life sucks, then you die"
foxmulder

Postby Maller » 29. June 2004 00:19

What I would like is to have my own webroot, but still be able to use the default admin stuff and docs!!

Use virtualhosts, mod_alias or simply move the docs from xampp to a subfolder in your root

Seriously: after installing it your completely left to your own devices!!!

Refer to the Apache / mysql etc etc websites for docs they are very help full

Including Webmin as well would be good idea I think?

Webmin is for linux not windows

- How do I make stuff (apache) run as a service (so I don not use the batch)

Thats what the batch file does, installs the service.
- Does it start all other stuff (mail, ftp etc..) as well? And how unsafe is that?

There should be 1 batch for each service, as not all people use all of the services.
Maller

Services Quote

Postby inwisconsin » 30. June 2004 01:33

The only NT services available in xampp are Apache and MySQL. No need to worry about the other apps, although you can have the FTP run as a service, but that setting must be made from within the GUI of the FTP application.

You will find the NT service installers in the Apache and MySQL directories of xampp.

Use the admin from the MySQL directory to create a root password for the db, and then edit the phpMyAdmin config manually to use this password. Please note, a default password is of nearly as little use as no password, at all. It is possibly more safe as the phpMyAdmin home page states in red that it is dangerous to leave as is. Without this it is likely that the password would continually stay the default.

I hope that it helps.
inwisconsin

Return to XAMPP for Windows