XAMP-VM download

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMP-VM download

Postby KoalaKoala » 02. December 2019 02:53

Hi Folks,
After testing my files on XAMP for MacOS (7.1.33-0) I was looking to download Wordpress or other CMS etc to test also. The Apache website suggests that the MacOS Bitnami add-ons have been deprecated and advises to download XAMPP-VM and utilise the Linux add-ons. Searching for XAMPP-VM download leads back to the Apache website XAMPP download page but I do not see the XAMPP-VM dmg to download anywhere only MacOS dmg which does not look the same file/package. Searching forums on Apache does not produce a clear result. Does anyone know of a direct link to the file download location or can clarify the issue please?
KoalaKoala

XAMPP version: 7.1.33-0
Operating System: Mac OS

Re: XAMP-VM download

Postby JJ_Tagy » 02. December 2019 15:48

KoalaKoala wrote:The Apache website ... advises to download XAMPP-VM ...

Are you sure? I doubt Apache recommends this. I recommend NOT downloading the VM unless you have a specific need for a VM.
JJ_Tagy

XAMPP version: 5.5.15
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64

Postby KoalaKoala » 03. December 2019 02:11

Greetings,

Here is the link below for the page on the Apache website, it's the big green label but when you click through I don't see the VM anywhere although it may be one of the other packages that just isn't labelled VM?
https://www.apachefriends.org/index.html

I'm not familiar with VM, why do you NOT recommend downloading?
The requirement is adding the CMS eg Wordpress etc into the development/testing environment eg XAMPP with the issue described in OP. Since I have done some reading and MAMP seems like the better option for Mac OS and I think it's possible to have both XAMPP and MAMP on computer. That's not to take away from the process we are following for XAMP on MacOS in the OP which by all accounts thus far is not inappropriate.

Clarification appreciated.
KoalaKoala

Postby JJ_Tagy » 03. December 2019 07:08

KoalaKoala wrote:Here is the link below for the page on the Apache website

No, here is the Apache website: http://apache.org/

KoalaKoala wrote:I'm not familiar with VM, why do you NOT recommend downloading?

A perfect reason NOT to use the VM. Read through the posts below and you will see the issues with using one.

You can run a Wordpress installation on your local machine.
JJ_Tagy

XAMPP version: 5.5.15
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64

Postby KoalaKoala » 03. December 2019 09:46

Thanks for the input, but I'm not sure you have clarified much.
I clicked on the link you provided and the first thing I noticed was "not secure" and I don't see any comments regarding VM; apparently there are different types which could alter the experience?
From the link I provided to Apache 'friends' website (the one we are on) the process leads clearly to that download and implies a 'process' VM as far as I can tell from meh limited reading on the topic, which from what I understand is a file package that would run in XAMPP in a local testing environment no?
I will probably just download MAMP as it appears the solution but if anyone can clarify please as the process appears inconsistent in that the the general narrative is that it's fine to have the full development testing with XAMPP on Mac which you are suggesting isn't the case.
Thanks again.
KoalaKoala

Postby Nobbie » 03. December 2019 14:57

You can download what you want. This forum supports Xampp (not MAMP) and we do not recommend to install XAMPP-VM. For Windows and Linux there is NO VM Version, there is only one for OSX (i dont know why), but there is also a normal version for OSX which installs into the /Application folder (what is standard for OSX). There are many problems related to the VM Version, therefore i dont recommend the VM version and I do not support the VM version. Thats all.

Its on you what you want to have.
Nobbie

Postby KoalaKoala » 03. December 2019 22:34

Well that's two site users that have appeared to support that view which is probably enough to go on for the time being. It would have been good for the website/moderator/administrator to make that clear on the website to avoid the confusion.
KoalaKoala

Return to XAMPP for macOS