mysql_stop.bat not working in latest version

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

mysql_stop.bat not working in latest version

Postby hedgehog90 » 12. September 2019 00:08

When running mysql_stop.bat I get the following output:
pv: No matching processes found

The pv executable (PrcView) no longer detects mysqld.exe or httpd.exe, unlike previous versions.

Also, unlike a previous version of XAMPP (7.0.1), mysqld behaves differently and wrongly it seems.
In the latest version (7.3.9), if I run start_mysql.bat a command prompt opens. If I close that command prompt, the mysqld.exe process remains.
In 7.0.1, if I run start_mysql.bat a command prompt opens. If I close that command prompt, the mysqld.exe is killed.
The latter is the expected behaviour.
hedgehog90

XAMPP version: 7.3.9
Operating System: Windows 10 64 bit

Re: mysql_stop.bat not working in latest version

Postby Nobbie » 13. September 2019 12:45

hedgehog90 wrote:The latter is the expected behaviour.

It depends.

If mysqld is started directly from the Batch Job, it will be killed when the terminal is closed.
If mysqld is started as a service, the service will NOT be killed when the terminal is closed.

There is an option in Xampp Control Center for running Apache/MySQL as service or not.

I dont know the syntax for mysqld, but for example Apache service httpd.exe can be run as service via using the option "-k" on the commandline. Maybe there is also such an option for mysqld. I dont have a Windows installation for checking that.
Nobbie

Postby gonzalo » 16. September 2019 09:32

Hi hedgehog90,

Thanks for your report. This is a known issue of the "pv.exe" binary not being able to handle 64-bits processes (e.g. Apache and MariaDB). We will work on fixing this issue for the next release.

In the meantime, you can use the `killprocess.bat` script in the XAMPP installation directory. For stopping the MariaDB process, you can run the command below

Code: Select all
killprocess.bat" "mysqld.exe"

Regards,
Gonzalo
gonzalo

XAMPP version: any
Operating System: any

Postby gonzalo » 25. September 2019 22:08

Sorry, there's a typo in my previous post that I can no longer edit. There's an extra quotation mark. The correct command should be read as below

Code: Select all
killprocess.bat "mysqld.exe"
gonzalo

Postby gonzalo » 09. October 2019 14:58

We released a new version of the XAMPP installers fixing the issue with the mysql_stop.bat and apache_stop.bat scripts.

New Installers version: 7.1.32-1 / 7.2.23-0 / 7.3.10-0
gonzalo

Postby HeyItsMe » 29. March 2020 05:59

I'm posting in this thread even not related to mysql as its mentioning the file killprocess.bat beside some related adjustments.
In the releases without installer the batch-file killprocess.bat is missing, furthermore the path-variable "@@BITROCK_INSTALLDIR@@" in apache.stop is undefined.
killprocess.bat I could download already but I don't know if its an official ftp-server, so I never post the link here.
I'm using many xampp-installations, so the latter one is not a big problem for me as I work nearly without setting global path-variables - or setting them in the start.bat if required respectively useful.

Would be useful to add the file killprocess.bat at least by default.
HeyItsMe

XAMPP version: several
Operating System: Windows

Return to XAMPP for Windows