To upgrade or not: XAMPP 3.2.2 and PHP 5.6.28

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

To upgrade or not: XAMPP 3.2.2 and PHP 5.6.28

Postby stevehomer » 25. June 2019 10:48

XAMPP runs pretty sweetly on my machine (64 bit Win 10) BUT I realise 3.2.2 is a LOT less than 7.x. That being said I loath updating SW as problems always ensue.

However I feel the dread move to PHP 7 is called for.

Given that I am terrible at Apache and other "under the bonnet (hood)" technologies, and have spent literally hours getting this thing running right here, I have a couple of questions for the clever people:

If I upgrade XAMPP does it preserve the modifications I have made to Apache config files? (I presume NO.)

Is there a straightforward roll back? (I presume I can just copy the entire XAMPP directory and reuse that if things get too horrible or does the new install do clever things with the registry etc?)

If I move from PHP 5 to 7 can I use the old PHP.ini file etc (I know this is PHP question but I wondered if XAMPP offers any easy migration path).

Finally OMG thank you all for so much work on XAMPP. For a free bit of software I always think it is f*****g amazing. Many many thanks - or should that be vielen vielen dank.

In any case mahalo nui loa

Aloha Steve
stevehomer

XAMPP version: 5.6.19
Operating System: Win 10

Re: To upgrade or not: XAMPP 3.2.2 and PHP 5.6.28

Postby Nobbie » 25. June 2019 11:39

stevehomer wrote:XAMPP runs pretty sweetly on my machine (64 bit Win 10) BUT I realise 3.2.2 is a LOT less than 7.x.

First of all: whereas there is a release 7.x for Xampp, there is NO release 3.2.2. The last number is only the release of the single Xampp Dialogbox (the starter of Apache and Co.). The release of Xampp is either 5.x or 7.x or (very old, prior to 5,x) it was 1.8.x etc.

You probably are running any Xampp 5.x.

stevehomer wrote:If I upgrade XAMPP does it preserve the modifications I have made to Apache config files? (I presume NO.)

"NO" is the right answer. Even worse: actually there is no upgrade procedure nor tool. You cannot "upgrade" Xampp. Its always a full de-install followed by a full install.

stevehomer wrote:Is there a straightforward roll back? (I presume I can just copy the entire XAMPP directory and reuse that if things get too horrible or does the new install do clever things with the registry etc?)

A full copy of your existing Xampp should be a sufficient backup. Simply rename the Xampp folder to Xampp.old or similar and youre done! Do NOT de-install anything. Simply rename it, after then install the new Xampp 7.x to the same Xampp folder.

stevehomer wrote:If I move from PHP 5 to 7 can I use the old PHP.ini file etc (I know this is PHP question but I wondered if XAMPP offers any easy migration path).

I am unsure, but I wouldnt. You might overlook some new entries or configuration options. Yes i know, its a pain to take over all the changes from your last installation, but there is no easy way for it. Same problem for Apache and the configuration, if you did changes to the configuration files (i.e. defining VirtualHosts etc.), you have to do that manually again for the new installation.

Depending on your current installation and depending on the tools you already installed (WordPress or so), its a real big (ugly) job to upgrade from one release to the next. Sorry for the bad news, but it is as it is. Xampp is a quite complex distribution of sophisticated webserver tools, there is no concept for easy upgrades.
Nobbie

Postby stevehomer » 25. June 2019 13:18

Brilliant reply and I am running 5.6.28 (same as PHP version number - d'oh!). The 3.2.2 is the control panel. I only found the version number by scrolling back through the startup log. (A "Help: About" link in the CP would be appreciated.)

I think, while I want to upgrade to PHP 7 I think I better put that off until I must (not long now).

@Nobbie - once again many thanks

PS: Moving to PHP 7 with STANDARD config looks very straightforward according to:
https://medium.com/oceanize-geeks/how-to-upgrade-lower-version-to-latest-php-version-in-xampp-on-windows-f7be9a70bbb0

but given the hours I have spent tweaking config files ... Happy hacking!
stevehomer

XAMPP version: 5.6.19
Operating System: Win 10

Postby Nobbie » 25. June 2019 14:24

What about building a new Xampp 7.x without the need of de-installing the existing version?

You could install VirtualBox onto your PC; then install either any Windows 7, 8 or 10 or (what i recommend) run a Linux (Ubuntu, Mint or whatever) in that VirtualBox. After you installed the OS, download Xampp 7.x for that OS to the VirtualBox and install and run it. As it runs in a VirtualBox, it does not collide with your current installation and you can start testing and configuring a new Xampp, without compromising your current installation.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Windows