XAMPP: How to update PhpMyAdmin on macOS

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP: How to update PhpMyAdmin on macOS

Postby george98 » 12. February 2019 05:59

I have spent 4 hours dealing with this issue and of course I didn't have any luck. I ma looking for to update PhpMyAdmin in order top access my databases and tables and sql code, as my phpmyadmin version 4.8.2 which is by FAR THE WORST UPDATE EVER!!!!!!!!!!! , I am not able to export my databases, since it's JS is broken.

Tasks performed:
Various tricks with changing permissions in order to move the mysql files including disabling Integrity protection, trying to move the files as a super user (using the sudo command), trying to change the permissions on the parent folder and the folder including the databases or the actual databases etc, and NON of them work! Seems like it's impossible to break through the extremely restricted macOS permissions. Why the hell is that?

Attempted to re-install XAMPP, but Bitnami OS X VM doesn't seem to update and if I update it, I will lose all of my files, since I cannot move the databases.

Summary:
So I tried moving the files from the mysql folder, exporting from phpmyadmin, attempted to change the permissions, updated XAMPP -> NONE OF THEM WORK!

I'm extremely frustrated the fact phpmyadmin is the only way to access the databases and it's impossible to access them in any other way. Since phpmyadmin is broken, how can I access the databases now? :x
george98

XAMPP version: 7.3
Operating System: macOS High Sierra

Re: XAMPP: How to update PhpMyAdmin on macOS

Postby Nobbie » 12. February 2019 12:01

Why do you want to move the database?? Phpmyadmin is a GUI which connects to MySQL via TCPIP, there is no need to move anything.

Simply download the newest phpmyadmin, unzip it into the htdocs folder, rename the new phpmyadmin folder to "phpma" (for example, any name different from "phpmyadmin" will do it), copy the config.inc.php file from the original phpmyadmin folder into the newly created phpma folder, start a browser and enter http://localhost/phpma - or whatever servername you used to have for Xampp. Thats all.
Nobbie

Postby george98 » 12. February 2019 14:41

Ok, I performed the steps you mentioned. I opened phpma and it says "Loading..." and doesn't load. I checked with console and I see that there is a JavaScript error preventing me to export the database. When I click on export, type the name and I hit "Create", the "Loading..." appears again and never loads. I again checked the Console and still seems to be an error with JavaScript. So PhpMyAdmin 4.8.5 (the latest version) is still broken.

Even if I press on Go, I get the following error:

export.php: Missing parameter: whatDocumentation
export.php: Missing parameter: export_typeDocumentation

What can I do now?
george98

Postby Nobbie » 12. February 2019 16:03

It works in all my browsers flawlessly. Seems you have a problem either with your browser, or with the browsers setup or with MacOS. I am running Linux and everything is fine. I dont have any Apple hardware. Sorry, i cannot help you on that one. i dont think its a problem with Phpmyadmin.
Nobbie

Postby george98 » 12. February 2019 17:00

Ok, I have now tested it with all of my browsers including Chromium and still no luck. If you have any more suggestions please do let me know.
george98

Postby Nobbie » 12. February 2019 20:15

Maybe its not a browser problem, maybe you destroyed your Xampp installation?! I dont know. Actually it does not sound very well when you are saying, that you tried to install a new Xampp over an existing Xampp. Usually that results in an destroyed Xampp.

Try to deinstall everything, install a new Xampp and try Phpmyadmin from scratch.
Nobbie

Postby george98 » 12. February 2019 21:58

Ok, will do that. But what about my data and the databases?
george98

Postby Nobbie » 12. February 2019 22:19

george98 wrote:Ok, will do that. But what about my data and the databases?

If you never did a backup, these are lost. Did you ever backup anything?
Nobbie

Postby george98 » 13. February 2019 00:45

No I haven't How do you perform a backup? Is there a quick way?
george98

Postby Nobbie » 13. February 2019 10:51

I simply copy important data to my NAS and sometimes also to an external USB drive. Not very sophisticated, but still ok. In case of Xampp i would simply copy the whole folder, but i dont have any important data in Xampp, i only use it for testing reasons.
Nobbie

Postby george98 » 13. February 2019 23:23

Well thats the thing, I am unable to copy and paste the folder due to permission restrictions. I cannot break through the MacOS restrictions. Is there a way to "hack" it or just break them?
george98

Postby Nobbie » 15. February 2019 12:27

I dont use Apple stuff.

Anyway, I think your problem is due to the Xampp version you choose, it looks as if you installed the VM (Virtual Machine) version. This is not installed into your file system, but it runs in its own virtual environment (simulation a linux environment). It is mounted with certain rights, you cannot change these rights later on. I dont know why so many people are going for the VM version (there is no VM version for Windows neither vor Linux, only for macOS), as they all have the same big problems. Instead simply download one of the normal (not VM) Versions and you can access all files you need.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for macOS