Accessing apache configuration file and public_html

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Accessing apache configuration file and public_html

Postby kenoli » 17. November 2018 01:11

I just installed the new version of xampp and it is set up hugely differently than previous versions. How do I get to the Apache configuration file? How do I get to the public_html folder?

Want to set up links to my site directories and, maybe, more.

--Kenoli
kenoli

Re: Accessing apache configuration file and public_html

Postby Nobbie » 17. November 2018 10:21

I assume that you installed the very special XAMPP-VM Version, instead of one of the normal versions. Why did you pick that, the FAQ and Readme in the link ("More info about Xampp-VM") should have make you thinking twice about your choice. I actually think you did not read that at all?!
Nobbie

Postby kenoli » 17. November 2018 17:41

I installed the non-VM version and can't figure out how to use it. I am used to putting a symbolic link the public_html directory that points to my site folders or modifying the apache config file so it points to my folders. When I found the folder Apache was pointed to in a ~/.bitnami/ directory , the symbolic link didn't solve the problem. I then tried to point Apache to my site directories by modfiying the configuration file, but still none of my files would run under apache. I couldn't figure out how to locate my files in the .biynami directory Apache was pointed to. I finally uninstalled xampp and tried to install the old version, which I haven't done successfully. Where am I supposed to locate my site files so Apache will serve them?

--Kenoli
kenoli

Postby Nobbie » 18. November 2018 12:17

kenoli wrote:I installed the non-VM version and can't figure out how to use it. I am used to putting a symbolic link the public_html directory that points to my site folders or modifying the apache config file so it points to my folders. When I found the folder Apache was pointed to in a ~/.bitnami/ directory

The ./.bitname directory only exists in XAMPP-VM.
Nobbie

Postby kenoli » 18. November 2018 17:51

So, if I am looking at the .bitnami directory, I am using the vm version. I had no idea.

Well, maybe that explains things. I finally got everything to work, except a symbolic link to my sites folder. If I actually move my web files into the bitnami htdocs folder Apache opens them, but it will not follow a symbolic link to my files elsewhere on my drive. I guess this would be the case if the htdocs file existed on a virtual machine because the symbolic link would not follow the files to a folder on the non-vm machine. I presume if I install the non-vm version the symbolic link would work. This also explains why Apache won't boot when I point it in the config file to my site folder as it is not on the vm machine and it can't find it when it tries to boot.

The fog is lifting...

I've spent hours trying to work this out. I had no idea I was installing the vm version. Now I see that both are listed on the download page for MacOS. I must have inadvertently downloaded the vm version.

I am 75 and struggling with cataracts and it is often hard for me to see things on the computer, especially with the move to display things in a less bold and even gray tone instead of black. I know I tend to miss things and now realize I wasn't seeing that both non-vm and vm versions were included in the same download list for macOS. I was looking only at the version numbers. Ironically, since much is now gray rather than black on web UIs, when I increase the contrast which is supposed to help people with poor vision see better, the grays drop out while the blacks get blacker.

I presume deleting the .bitnami folder and the xampp app in the applicaitions folder with uninstall xampp.

Thanks for your help.

I hope this will solve the issue.

Thanks,

--Kenoli
kenoli

Postby chrisguk » 21. November 2018 14:16

I had the same problem. If you go to www.apachefriends.org/index.html, it looks like the VM version is the only one available for OSX users. If you want the normal version, you have to find your way to www.apachefriends.org/download.html. I couldn't figure out how to configure the VM version so just deleted it and installed the normal version. Something needs fixing here.
chrisguk

XAMPP version: 7.2.12
Operating System: OSX 10.13.6

Postby kenoli » 21. November 2018 23:41

I appreciate hearing about your experience. It makes me feel less like a fool. I spent hours and hours trying to get it to work and once I found out it was the vm version everything became clear. When I finally went back to downloads, I ended up at a page that had both versions on it. I could swear that the page I first went to only had one version and it turned out to be the vm version. From what you are saying, I think that may have been the case. It would be a good thing to fix to save others from the same misdirection.

Thanks,

--Kenoli
kenoli

Postby Andy_Reign6 » 11. December 2018 19:23

Man, you can add me to the list of downloading the VM version and of course I could not get it to work. Problem is the link says Xampp for OSX..but if your not paying attention the file description right underneath it says Xampp-vm. Adding to my problem I suppose is coming straight over to the page from a google search. Anyway...thanks guys for shedding some light on my problem.
Andy_Reign6

XAMPP version: 7.2.12
Operating System: MacOS 10.14.1

Postby kenoli » 11. December 2018 21:39

Glad my confusion was able to help others. It hung me up for a couple of days.

--Kenoli
kenoli

Return to XAMPP for macOS