xampp portable on usb apache not a windows service

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

xampp portable on usb apache not a windows service

Postby Ptah » 13. January 2018 03:29

I downloaded xampp portable from the portable apps website. The xampp control panel starts okay, but when I click on apache to start it gives the following error:

error apache shutdown unexpectedly. this may be due to blocked port missing dependencies improper privileges, a crash, or a shutdown by another method. press the logs button to view error logs and check the windows event viewer for more clues. if you need help copy and post this entire log window on the forums.

please note xampp is download and installed on a usb and I was to told by the portable apps admin that apache is not installed as a windows service. Therefore how do I get apache started if it is not a service.

thanks
Ptah

Operating System: win 7 64 bit

Re: xampp portable on usb apache not a windows service

Postby Nobbie » 13. January 2018 12:52

Your problem has nothing to with services or not services, you have a blocked Port 80 or Apache crashed for any reason (as the error message says). Without any further information nobody can tell you what is wrong with your installation.
Nobbie

Re: xampp portable on usb apache not a windows service

Postby Ptah » 20. January 2018 19:43

I got it running by finding out my own answers. I had to change not only port 80 but port 443 as well.
Ptah

Operating System: win 7 64 bit

Return to XAMPP for Windows