phpMyAdmin, MariaDB, and Creating User w/ a Password

Alles, was MariaDB und MySQL betrifft, kann hier besprochen werden.

phpMyAdmin, MariaDB, and Creating User w/ a Password

Postby Wolf_22 » 23. October 2017 03:16

I'm having problems logging into phpMyAdmin using a user account that I created in MariaDB that has a password. The MariaDB version is 10.2.8 with phpMyAdmin version 4.7.4. The password for the user account is "test" but the actual login only works if I configure the account to not use a password (then and only then can I log into phpMyAdmin successfully).

Is this a known bug or have I done something wrong in creating the account? I'm pretty new to MariaDB but I've been using phpMyAdmin and MySQL for years. I've never seen this problem before until now.

Thanks in advance.
Wolf_22

XAMPP version: N/A
Operating System: N/A

Re: phpMyAdmin, MariaDB, and Creating User w/ a Password

Postby Nobbie » 23. October 2017 12:33

Which auth_type are you using in phpmyadmin (i.e. config.inc.php), how do you "login" in phpmyadmin? Which rights are granted to the test user?

I dont know any bug with user account and phpmyadmin login.
Nobbie

Postby Wolf_22 » 23. October 2017 13:45

It looks like $cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type'] is being set to "cookie." Should I change that to something else? I log into phpMyAdmin using the standard login page found at http://localhost/phpmyadmin/. The drop-down underneath the "Password" prompt provides for both MySQL and MariaDB. I only run into the user account issue when I try to use one that I created with MariaDB (and only if it has a password--if I create or adjust an account to not use a password, I can log into phpMyAdmin / MariaDB without any issue). I also created an account for MySQL with a password and I could log into it without error, too, so this appears to be specific to MariaDB.

The test user has the following grants only for a specific database (not global--I tried setting them to be global but it didn't seem to help):
- Data:
-- SELECT
-- INSERT
-- UPDATE
-- DELETE

- Structure:
-- CREATE
-- DROP
-- CREATE TEMPORARY TABLES

- Administration:
-- LOCK TABLES
Wolf_22

Postby Wolf_22 » 26. October 2017 00:37

Okay, so I think I'm beginning to nail down where the hang up was: It has something to do with the host name that the user account is associated with. It was the percent sign but once I changed it to "localhost," it worked. I also realized that root has 3 user records, each with a different host name: one with "127.0.0.1", another with "::1", and finally, one with "localhost." Not sure what this means since this is a local development environment that hasn't had a single user ever, so I guess it's got something to do with establishing the default root account. Just not sure why the percent sign wouldn't work.
Wolf_22

Return to MariaDB - MySQL