php process not allowed to create files

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

php process not allowed to create files

Postby charled » 24. July 2017 16:05

Hi everyone,

New to this forum as I first installed Xampp 5.6.31 in Mac OS X 10.9.5. And first problem.

I manually created a folder in htdocs/eefic/ and added the script which automatically installs my cms (contao.org).

First step : the script tests if it can create files and folder. But for now, the answer is no : "proprietary of folder test is deamon (should be root)" ; "proprietary of file test is deamon (should be root)".

What is wrong with my installation/configuration/permissions ?

Thanks for help.
charled

Operating System: Ubuntu

Re: "php process not allowed to create files"

Postby charled » 11. October 2017 21:26

Hello,

Little up.
Does someone know how I can do to make proprietary of folders "root" ?
Thanks.
charled

Re: php process not allowed to create files

Postby Beltran » 24. October 2017 08:48

Hi,

You can launch a terminal from the XAMPP UI and run the following command to change the files owner to 'root':

sudo chown -R root /opt/lampp/htdocs/eefic
Beltran
Power-User

XAMPP version: 10
Operating System: Windows, Linux, OS X

Postby charled » 25. October 2017 10:48

Hi Beltran,

Thanks for your answer. But But I'm on Mac and Xampp isn't installed in /opt/ but in /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs
I applied the command to /htdocs/eefic/ folder and to /htdocs/ btu I still have the same problem.
charled

Postby Nobbie » 26. October 2017 09:23

If i get it right, the contao installation scipt runs a test with self-created folders and files and checks the ownership. It expects "root" as ownership. There is only one way to achieve this, run Apache with root permissions. Edit httpd.conf and look for "User daemon" and replace it by "User root" (or whatever the root account is in an OSX environment). Then restart Apache.

BUT: this is very very unlikely and in a real server environment it would be HUGE security risk.If any PHP script is infected by trojans (like many WordPress plugins are!), the attacker runs his attack with root permissions - what a horror!! Therefore i really cannot understand, why contao needs to create files and folders with ownership root. That is extremely weird and you definately should ask contao if this is really what the want?! Of course, in your private LAN and on your private Mac there is no risk, but probably contao also runs on public servers and i cannot believe that there is any provider which runs Apache with root permissions. Thats a pain!

Last not least, that might be an issue of the installer, which probably is designed to run in a linux environment only and is not yet tested in an OSX environment. Again, ask contao for support on that. Finally, that step is only a check, maybe contao installs well anyway. Or does it fail? If it does not fail, simply ignore that message.
Nobbie

Postby charled » 26. October 2017 14:23

I use Contao in production for many years now on shared hosting. I never had pb with its security.

it can be installed two ways :
- manually by ftp,
- with this script.

This script tests 2 things :
- if php can create files and folder, i suppose because while it will download all necessary,
- if we can use Composer for plug-in management.
Both tests send an error. So I could install manually but i'd like ton understand.

Until now, I was using MAMP Pro with no problem but I'd like to learn Xampp as I want to work on Linux too.

Could you be kind to test it yourself. Perhaps do I miss something. Here you can download Check : https://github.com/contao/check/zipball/master .

Bonus : here (https://community.apachefriends.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=75849&start=15#p258737) you can see I tried xampp-vm too. But I'm on OS X 10.9.5 and it seems to be too old to find hypervisor.framework.
charled

Postby Nobbie » 26. October 2017 22:04

charled wrote:Could you be kind to test it yourself.

No. I neither have any Mac PC, nor can i support contao. You should ask contao instead.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for macOS