Installation Of XAMPP failed

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Installation Of XAMPP failed

Postby yonscun_lie » 01. May 2004 09:15

Sorry I can't read german language.

I downloaded XAMPP installer version (about 29 MB)

After I install it, I could not start apache. So I check httpd.conf and found

ServerRoot "/xampp/apache"
and change it to
ServerRoot "C:/Program Files/xampp/apache"

But after that the problem is still occur, so every line start with

load blabala "xampp/blabla/"
I changed to
load blablabla "c:\program\(absolute path)"
Note : because there is alot of it, I can't change every path.

then Every module (*.dll) can't load and give me error message box?
yonscun_lie

Xampp Installation Failed

Postby brun » 01. May 2004 13:54

I'm having this problem too!!

Have you found out how to fix it?
brun

there is a setup...

Postby MAGnUm » 02. May 2004 17:04

you must run setup_xampp.bat in the dir you extracted wampp to before you use it! it takes care of all config for you.
~~:M A G n U m:~~
(Disclaimer: if any of this info is confusing or vague tough, its free!!)
MAGnUm

Postby brun » 03. May 2004 13:45

Yeah I did run setup_xampp.bat but I get the error -

'C:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch

- about 15 times in the command window. It seems to be having problems getting the directory where I installed xampp.

Thanks for your reply
brun

Postby Wiedmann » 03. May 2004 13:55

I think this is an error in the XAMPP setup. It cannot deal with blanks in directorys. With a german Windows der is no problem, because the folder "Program Files" is called "Programme".

Try to install XAMPP in a directory without blanks. For example: "C:\xampp".
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby brun » 03. May 2004 16:10

Yeah I figured that out! All working now!

Thanks for your reply!
brun

Postby yonscun_lie » 13. May 2004 10:30

Well, I hope the next version of xampp installer will automatically execute install.bat :)
yonscun_lie

Postby Sjekster » 27. May 2004 22:28

I have the same problem. However, if I install Xampp in a directory other than program files, the bat file says: Sorry, but nothing to do :?

And if I do install it in program files I get the errors stated above....

Does anybody have some suggestions?
Sjekster

Solution for XAMPP English Install Failure

Postby bretts5964 » 07. June 2004 06:55

I figured out a way to get around this problem. :idea: Uninstall XAMPP, (it's not working anyway, right?), then reinstall using the Windows Installer version download. This one:

http://www.apachefriends.org/download.p ... taller.exe

During the install, at the "Choose Install Location" screen, change the destination folder from "C:\Program Files" to "C:\.", (NOTE: there's a DOT).

The installer will see this as a valid directory, and will enable the "Install" button so you can continue on. It will actually install everything into "C:\xampp", and works because the dot stands for the current directory, (in this case the root). You COULD enter an unbroken directory name like "C:\xampp", but then you'd end up installing under two directories like "C:\xampp\xampp".

Afterwards, I didn't have to run the setup_xampp.bat file. I just started it up with xampp_start.exe immediately after the installer finished. Worked the first time, no problems. All default servers were running, and all the demo apps worked...

Enjoy,
Brett
bretts5964

Postby Sjekster » 07. June 2004 08:28

Tried your method but the bat file still says "Sorry....but nothing to do!" :?

I guess I'm just gonna install phpdev again :cry:

Thanks for the help nontheless :wink:
Sjekster

Normal?

Postby bretts5964 » 08. June 2004 16:02

Sjekster wrote:Tried your method but the bat file still says "Sorry....but nothing to do!" :?

I'm not sure if you have some other problems, but that message would be normal if your install worked. I just ran the batch file, and it gave me the same error, but the Apache and MySQL servers are running fine.

Forget the batch file and try running the servers by going to the C:\xampp\ directory and running xampp_start.exe. This will start a DOS window where the server runs, and then immediately pop up a browser window with the XAMPP logo where you can enter the main page and check the status.
bretts5964

Re: Normal?

Postby Sjekster » 08. June 2004 16:10

bretts5964 wrote:
Sjekster wrote:Tried your method but the bat file still says "Sorry....but nothing to do!" :?

I'm not sure if you have some other problems, but that message would be normal if your install worked. I just ran the batch file, and it gave me the same error, but the Apache and MySQL servers are running fine.

Forget the batch file and try running the servers by going to the C:\xampp\ directory and running xampp_start.exe. This will start a DOS window where the server runs, and then immediately pop up a browser window with the XAMPP logo where you can enter the main page and check the status.
Doesn't work either :cry:
Sjekster

Return to XAMPP for Windows