New installation cannot connect to old database files

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

New installation cannot connect to old database files

Postby driven13 » 30. April 2017 21:53

Hello all.

I have had an older version of XAMPP running for a few years now. Then yesterday php "broke" and then the Apache server would not start. I could not get to "localhost", "phpmyadmin" or any of the websites. I spent a few hours trying to troubleshoot it but finally gave up and installed the latest version of XAMPP.

XAMPP for Windows 5.6.30

I moved my old htdocs to the new htdocs folder and the old MySQL data files to the new location here: C:\xampp\mysql\data

I can get into phpmyAdmin and I see the new database showing up inside it. But when I go to the site on localhost (http://localhost/alex/, it displays the setup page for a brand new WordPress site, instead of just displaying the site, since it has both the database as well as the files.

Can someone please help me with this...??

Thanks in advance.
driven13

Operating System: Windows 7, 64-bit

Re: New installation cannot connect to old database files

Postby driven13 » 04. May 2017 08:28

Sorry to bump this but it has been a few days since my original post and I am a little anxious to solve this problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
driven13

Postby Nobbie » 04. May 2017 11:05

Your subject (and error message) is quite confusing and i think its simply wrong. You say, "cannot connect to old database files". I dont believe that, because in that case WordPress would definately issue an error like "cannot connect database" or similar. As this does NOT happen, i think that your WordPress database is somehow corrupt, missing or manipulated or wrong data.

Am i right that this data is NOT from an older backup, but its simply the latest data after your installation has crashed? Of course it is very difficult to say, but i have some very bad experiences with WordPress, as my installation has been hacked three(!) times by a backdoor trojan. The visible effect finally was, that no contents had been displayed, i always received a blank page when calling my WordPress.

After a few days of investigation i found out, that WordPress has a huge(!) security leak in their plugins. I had installed some WordPress plugins, i never found out which of these were infected, but there must be at least on plugin, that installed a backdoor trojan on my server and finally destroyed the whole installation. Last not least I decided to say goodbye to WordPress, i recoded all my pages into plain HTML and PHP, and now everything runs fine.

If (and only if) you have been hacked also, there is no chance to recreate your old WordPress installation. Therefore i ask you for an older backup, do you have any backup prior to the last event (where PHP "broke" as you say)? Because i believe that your installation already is destroyed, we definately need a working release. Do you have an online version of your WordPress installation (Xampp should be used for local development only), where we can grab a copy? If not, i dont think i can help you, as i am pretty sure that your assumption about "cannot connect to old database" is simply wrong.
Nobbie

Postby driven13 » 14. June 2017 03:20

Nobbie wrote:....as i am pretty sure that your assumption about "cannot connect to old database" is simply wrong.
Hahahaha
Since you are assuming a lot of this too, let me try and be a bit clearer as I may have not worded my original post well...:)

The database file that I am talking about were the ones that I had saved from the previous older version of XAMPP. They were not infected with a virus and I am pretty sure I don't have any Trojans on my computer. I simple decided to upgrade my XAMPP and so before doing that, I went into the folder that was called "mysql" and copied it to my desktop.

My intention was to import them or, at a least simply copy them to the new installation and it would automatically show up and be linked to all the different sites that those databases run via the "htdocs" folder.

But moving the database files into the MySQL > data folder is not working as it does not show up in phpmyadmin for localhost and neither does it connect to the site (WordPress).

Any ideas...???
driven13

Postby Nobbie » 14. June 2017 09:56

driven13 wrote:Any ideas...???

Yes: Hahahaha
Nobbie

Postby driven13 » 14. June 2017 17:09

Your knowledge of this is as bad as your English. Please learn both.

Have a good day.
driven13

Postby Nobbie » 14. June 2017 17:33

Genau wie bei Dir: Dein Computerwissen ist genauso gut wie Dein Deutsch. Nämlich Null, nichts. Ich kann wenigstens Englisch, vielleicht nicht fehlerfrei, aber Du hast Null Ahnung von Computern und Null Ahnung von Deutsch. Deswegen hast Du Dir auch Deine Installation zerschossen und bist zu doof, sie wieder zu reparieren. Stattdessen musst Du hier fragen - und "Bumpen", lustig! Aber wenn man so großkotzig ist wie Du, bekommt man leider keine Hilfe. Und wenn man außer Englisch nichts kann, ist das dumm gelaufen.

Ich wünsche Dir auch einen schönen Tag und viel Spaß mit Deiner zerballerten Xampp und Wordpress Installation.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Windows