Xampp tmp folder blocking MegaSync application locally!

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Xampp tmp folder blocking MegaSync application locally!

Postby itrelated » 27. March 2017 01:35

I have Xampp folder syncing to the cloud with MegaSync application, installed locally. But every time i restart the computer, the (tmp) folder blocks MegaSync appplication.

I have to delete the tmp files, for MegaSync (from "mega.nz") to start syncing again.

Is there a solution you might know?
itrelated

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Re: Xampp tmp folder blocking MegaSync application locally!

Postby JJ_Tagy » 27. March 2017 10:51

Maybe force the temp folder to be elsewhere on your machine?
JJ_Tagy

XAMPP version: 5.5.15
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64

Postby Nobbie » 27. March 2017 11:32

MegaSync *should* have an option to exclude certain files and folders from synch, as (for example) it is totally useless to sync temporary files (like here), or the contents of the trash box or or or - you should exclude the system tmp folder (and also the Xampp tmp folder etc.) from synch. Even if you succeed to avoid Xampp using the tmp folder, there might be any other software which uses the tmp folder as well and the problem will arise again and again and again.

Your description anyway lacks the full pathname of tmp folder, which one do you mean? There is a Windows Environment Variable TMP, which points to a tmp folder, there is also a PHP tmp folder (for session files etc.) and last not least i dont know if MySQL/MariaDB uses tmp files also. You should exclude all of them from MegaSync.
Nobbie

Postby itrelated » 27. March 2017 11:51

@ JJ_Tagy, how do you force the tmp folder to be elsewhere? If "Nobbie" solution does not work and your's does, i'm ok with that!
Last edited by itrelated on 27. March 2017 12:31, edited 1 time in total.
itrelated

Postby JJ_Tagy » 27. March 2017 12:19

itrelated wrote:@ JJ_Tagy, how do you force the tmp folder to be elsewhere? If "Nobbie" solution does not work and your's does, i'm ok with that!

httpd-xampp.conf, my.ini, and php.ini if you only use the big 3
JJ_Tagy

XAMPP version: 5.5.15
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64

Postby itrelated » 27. March 2017 12:35

Nobbie wrote:MegaSync *should* have an option to exclude certain files and folders from synch, as (for example) it is totally useless to sync temporary files (like here), or the contents of the trash box or or or - you should exclude the system tmp folder (and also the Xampp tmp folder etc.) from synch. Even if you succeed to avoid Xampp using the tmp folder, there might be any other software which uses the tmp folder as well and the problem will arise again and again and again.

Your description anyway lacks the full pathname of tmp folder, which one do you mean? There is a Windows Environment Variable TMP, which points to a tmp folder, there is also a PHP tmp folder (for session files etc.) and last not least i dont know if MySQL/MariaDB uses tmp files also. You should exclude all of them from MegaSync.

It seem the only tmp folder causing problems with MegaSync is D:\xampp\tmp
As when i delete it it starts syncing again!

I haven't seen how to exclude the tmp folder from MegaSync!
itrelated

Postby Nobbie » 27. March 2017 13:31

I dont know MegaSync, but i cannot believe that there is NO option to define, which folders have to by synched and which not. So you can only synch the whole PC (even if it has a 10 TeraByte Disk??)? Strange.

P.S.: When i enter "exclude folders from megasync" into Google, it gives me tons of useful hints. Of course you can define folder names, which should not be synched (thats perfectly designed, simply apply "tmp" and ALL temporary folders will be skipped, exactly what you need). Already one of the top level answers in Google gives me this link: https://github.com/meganz/MEGAsync/issues/55 - a quote from there:

At the moment you can define exclusions in Advanced/Settings.

Why cant you find that?
Nobbie

Postby itrelated » 27. March 2017 14:04

Nobbie wrote:I dont know MegaSync, but i cannot believe that there is NO option to define, which folders have to by synched and which not. So you can only synch the whole PC (even if it has a 10 TeraByte Disk??)? Strange.

P.S.: When i enter "exclude folders from megasync" into Google, it gives me tons of useful hints. Of course you can define folder names, which should not be synched (thats perfectly designed, simply apply "tmp" and ALL temporary folders will be skipped, exactly what you need). Already one of the top level answers in Google gives me this link: https://github.com/meganz/MEGAsync/issues/55 - a quote from there:

At the moment you can define exclusions in Advanced/Settings.

Why cant you find that?

I was looking to select the folder to exlude. I didn't even see there was a name option in advanced settings.

Sorry wasting your time. Really!
itrelated

Postby itrelated » 27. March 2017 14:05

JJ_Tagy wrote:
itrelated wrote:@ JJ_Tagy, how do you force the tmp folder to be elsewhere? If "Nobbie" solution does not work and your's does, i'm ok with that!

httpd-xampp.conf, my.ini, and php.ini if you only use the big 3

Applied @Nobbie's solution. Otherwise your's would def work!
Thanks!
itrelated

Postby Nobbie » 27. March 2017 14:14

itrelated wrote:Applied

see above - do not overlook the WIndows Environment Variable TMP, which also is used by many Windows Software products.
Nobbie

Postby itrelated » 27. March 2017 14:30

Nobbie wrote:
itrelated wrote:Applied

see above - do not overlook the WIndows Environment Variable TMP, which also is used by many Windows Software products.

Hum, i'm basically syncing document folders, images, videos etc...
If exckuding tmp is a bad idea then @JJ_Tagy's solution might not be a bad idea at this point.
What do you think?
itrelated

Return to XAMPP for Windows