[XAMPP] Try for a WEBSITE

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

[XAMPP] Try for a WEBSITE

Postby QualFive » 17. March 2017 18:42

Hi, my name is Gaby i'm from romania, and i have a trouble.
I want to open my wewbsite totaly free.

And i do:
1. In WINDOWS -> SYSTEM 32 - > DRIVERS -> ETC -> HOSTS -> And i add my domain: "127.0.0.1 X-Zone.ro"
2. In XAMPP - > APACHE -> CONF -> EXTRA -> httpd-vhosts -> I add: \
<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName x-zone.ro
ServerAdmin webmaster@x-zone.ro
DocumentRoot "C:/xampp/htdocs"
SetEnv APPLICATION_ENV "development"
<Directory "C:/xampp/htdocs">
AllowOverride All
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>
3. I port forward port number 80, and 443.

THAT'S IS OK.
My website work on my PC. I try to connect to my website to another PC, and this work, btw only with my ip (89.XX.XX.XX), not with my domain (x-zone.ro).
How can i solve that?

SORRY FOR BAD ENGLISH, i'm from romania.
QualFive

XAMPP version: 7
Operating System: Windows 7

Re: [XAMPP] Try for a WEBSITE

Postby Nobbie » 17. March 2017 20:26

QualFive wrote:and this work, btw only with my ip (89.XX.XX.XX), not with my domain (x-zone.ro).

Exactly. Therefore:

a) do *not* apply 127.0.0.1 in the hosts file, instead apply the public IP as above (89.X.X.X)

b) you have to apply that to ALL(!) Client PCs which are meant to reach your server. It is NOT sufficient to apply only the hosts file of the Xampp PC, i.e. this is useless anyway (you dont need to do that).

As you see, this is quite difficult and more or less impossible, therefore you should go for a provider, which setups a DNS Server with a domain name of your choice.

Do you really believe, its a good idea to use Xampp (what is designed for development only) for a public Server, having no clue at all?! I dont think so.
Nobbie

Postby QualFive » 17. March 2017 20:37

Nobbie wrote:
QualFive wrote:and this work, btw only with my ip (89.XX.XX.XX), not with my domain (x-zone.ro).

Exactly. Therefore:

a) do *not* apply 127.0.0.1 in the hosts file, instead apply the public IP as above (89.X.X.X)

b) you have to apply that to ALL(!) Client PCs which are meant to reach your server. It is NOT sufficient to apply only the hosts file of the Xampp PC, i.e. this is useless anyway (you dont need to do that).

As you see, this is quite difficult and more or less impossible, therefore you should go for a provider, which setups a DNS Server with a domain name of your choice.

Do you really believe, its a good idea to use Xampp (what is designed for development only) for a public Server, having no clue at all?! I dont think so.

i do what you do in (A), btw didn't work...
in (B) i didn't undenstard what i need to do.
QualFive

Postby Nobbie » 18. March 2017 00:42

QualFive wrote:in (B) i didn't undenstard what i need to do.

I cannot explain it differently, it is as it is. You have to edit ALL hosts file of the client PCs instead of the hosts file of your Xampp PC. Got it now?
Nobbie

Postby QualFive » 18. March 2017 07:54

Nobbie wrote:
QualFive wrote:in (B) i didn't undenstard what i need to do.

I cannot explain it differently, it is as it is. You have to edit ALL hosts file of the client PCs instead of the hosts file of your Xampp PC. Got it now?

no :( Where i need to go to edit. in windows -> system 32.... -> hosts?
or XAMPP -> Apache .... -> http-Vhost.
QualFive

Postby Nobbie » 18. March 2017 12:19

QualFive wrote:no :( Where i need to go to edit. in windows -> system 32.... -> hosts?

Cant you read? Example:

If you want, that I (i am living in Germany) can reach your Xampp Server with "X-Zone.ro" in my browser, you have to edit MY(!!!!!!) hosts file of MY(!!!!!!) PC (I am running a Linux PC, there is no Windows folder). Obviously, you cannot edit my Host file.

OR: if you registered that domain name officially at a public provider (i dont know romanian providers, in Germany we have for example "1 & 1" or "Strato" or whatever), then the provider must assign that Domain name to your public IP (I.e. 89.X.X.X). IN ANY CASE, IT IS USELESS TO EDIT YOUR OWN HOSTS FILE OF YOUR XAMPP PC!!! That effects only THAT PC, but NOT any other PC, so its useless.

Got it now??
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Windows