WordPress Corporate Intranet and Staff Directory

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

WordPress Corporate Intranet and Staff Directory

Postby 5pac3m0nk3y » 17. February 2017 16:31

Greetings!
I joined this forum today. Allow me to introduce myself. I am working for the state as a systems technician. I am currently trying to set up a Corporate Intranet and Active Directory Staff Directory with WordPress and XAMPP on a Windows server.
I've run into quite a few snags and decide to ask some questions here instead of trying to rebuild the wheel.
I've got XAMPP running, Apache works, MySQL Works, WordPress works.

I haven't found any LDAP or Active Directory staff directory plugins yet, but I did install a plugin that allows AD users to authenticate to WordPress. When I try to activate it, it tells me that I need to enable LDAP in PHP.INI.
I searched a few sites for this problem and found the solutions confusing.
Am I dealing with the PHP folder in XAMPP or the one in the root of Windows first off?
Second, has anyone successfully enabled LDAP in PHP.INI before when confronted with this error:

The 'Active Directory Integration' plugin requires the PHP module 'ldap' for communicating with the AD server. Please enable it.

The other issue I have is that I can only access XAMPP and Wordpress while on the server (LOCAHOST) but I can't access it with any other computers on this business network. Has anyone run into this problem before? Is it an issue with XAMPP configuration or some DNS problem?

I thank you for your help and I look forward to helping others here if I can.

Regards,
Al
5pac3m0nk3y

XAMPP version: 7.0.9
Operating System: Windows Server 2012 R2

Re: WordPress Corporate Intranet and Staff Directory

Postby Nobbie » 18. February 2017 13:21

5pac3m0nk3y wrote:Am I dealing with the PHP folder in XAMPP or the one in the root of Windows first off?

Xampp installs and uses PHP only withing the Xampp folder. If you already have installed PHP somewhere else it is out the scope of Xampp and also out of th scope of this forum.

I have no experience with Active Directory (i dont use Windows) therefore i cannot say anything about that.

5pac3m0nk3y wrote:The other issue I have is that I can only access XAMPP and Wordpress while on the server (LOCAHOST) but I can't access it with any other computers on this business network.

Please provide fully qualified error messages and/or a full description of what you are doing and what is happening. "I cant access" is by far not enough for any clue. Maybe you did not switch on the server, you did not start Apache, you have a firewall blocking requests, have entered the wrong URL, have no permission to access this or that or or or or or .... what means "I cant access"??
Nobbie

Postby 5pac3m0nk3y » 21. February 2017 16:10

Hello,

Thanks for your replies. I was able to figure out that the PHP.ini file needing editing was in the XAMPP folder. The other PHP folder apparently did not have an effect.

I will clarify regarding access.

So on the virtual Windows server I can access everything in XAMPP locally -- Apache, PHP, Wordpress, PHPMyAdmin etc. I can ping the server by IP and/or hostname from another computer. But if I try to visit the (for example) wordpress site) by visiting either the correct URL either with the hostname or the IP, it is not accessible, even if the server firewall is off.
So if I try to visit the site from outside the server -- even when the server is on, and the firewall is off, and when the URL is correct, I can't access it. Does that clarify the question?

When I try to visit the site I get this message:

The connection has timed out

The server at SERVERNAME is taking too long to respond.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Thanks,
-Al
5pac3m0nk3y

Postby Nobbie » 21. February 2017 21:18

5pac3m0nk3y wrote:So if I try to visit the site from outside the server -- even when the server is on, and the firewall is off, and when the URL is correct, I can't access it. Does that clarify the question?

No. "I cant access" still is a poor description. If you want to get help, you really should apply error messages and/or what happens, if you try to access your site. "I cannot" is nothing.
Nobbie

Postby 5pac3m0nk3y » 22. February 2017 14:41

I actually did post the precise error message but it required reading past the second 'it can't connect' statement. I've already resolved it anyway. The IP in the DNS manager had to be updated, and a rule created in the firewall to allow port 80. Have a good morning.
-Al
5pac3m0nk3y

Postby Nobbie » 22. February 2017 17:59

Ah - you mean, you first(!) asked "Does that clarify the question" (and of course the answer is still NO, as it did not), and then you added some informations AFTER you asked, if that stuff BEFORE clarified the question? Is your editor broken and you mixed the contents in the wrong order? Or is it yourself who asks "reversely"? How can one know, that you asked about the explanation AFTER(!) the question? Crazy.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Windows