Xampp pretty slow in Windows 10

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Xampp pretty slow in Windows 10

Postby argie01 » 19. February 2017 15:11

Hi,

I'm using XAMPP for Windows 5.6.21-0 in Windows 10 with latest updates.

Currently I'm working in a website made with last version of Wordpress.

But it doesn't a matter what version of Xampp I use, or what kind of web I develope: Xampp always is very slow.
For example, Worpress is unable to do some massive changes in posts, as author. Because when I select more than 3 posts at the same time and run the change Xampp is so slow that at the end Worpress returns just a blank page without doing any changes.

I'm using Xampp from more than 10 years now, and I've been having this kind of problems since minute 1.
Not matter if I use Windowx XP, 7, 8 or 10. Not matter if I use Symantec AV, ESET, or Windows Defender.
Xampp is always been slow after clik on any link, or I try to reload a page in localhost.

Lastly I modified file host to add this line:

127.0.0.1 localhost

But it doesn't fix the problem.
I really feel envy when I see videos of developers showing how their plugins works: most of them works with Mac and Wordpress and I can see that combination really goes fast.

I have not a lack of HW resources in my PC. I'm using Windows 10 and Windows Defender, and I excluded Xampp directory from Windows Defender.
I also permitted any kind of ports in Windows Firewall from Apache.

I don't know what else I can do to accelerate Xampp in my PC.

Any help will be appreciate.

Thank you!
argie01

Re: Xampp pretty slow in Windows 10

Postby Nobbie » 19. February 2017 15:57

Not Xampp is slow, WordPress is slow. That has always been a problem. Same for Joomla.

What you can do: dont use WordPress, at least dont use WordPress under Windows. On Linux it runs quicker.

P.S.: The change of your hosts file does not solve anything. I have never seen a fix based on that change. There is a fix for a slow WordPress (one of many fixes, you may try this one) under Windows, that is NOT to use "localhost" in your Data access, Instead of "localhost", you should apply 127.0.0.1 as server, everywhere you have used localhost before. This helps in some cases. But as you also stated, it runs quicker on OSX, same for Linux, but I clearly prefer Linux for many reasons.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Windows