Keeping webpages local

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Keeping webpages local

Postby DonD » 15. November 2016 22:09

Hi

I'm a total beginner with XAMPP. I managed to get it installed and configured to run successfully. I want to use it to make changes to a local copy of a website before making these for real.
I have copied all of the files from my Web Host into my local \xampp\htdocs folder. I can access the index.html page successfully and the address bar shows it is the local version. However, if I click a hyperlink, I get taken to the 'live' website.

I have searched on the forum, Googled it and looked at the help files and can't seem to find a specific answer which I can understand.

Is there a simple way to do this?

Many thanks

Don
DonD

XAMPP version: 3.2.2
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Keeping webpages local

Postby garyberends » 17. November 2016 16:26

Hi DonD

Ok, check your links in your website code. They refer to a website address instead of a fixed IP address on your pc.

One way of checking your ip address is to:
from windows:
Run Command
type cmd
type ipconfig /all

This will display you IP address... Replace your hyperlinks by placing your IP address in front of the link
Lets assume you have a contacts page.... www.yourdomain.com/contacts/contacts.html
Replace the link with your IP address: 192.168.10.10/contacts/contacts.html

Hope this helps
:D
garyberends

Operating System: Windows Server 2012

Postby garyberends » 17. November 2016 16:28

Ps: I would set a static IP address on your network... Else the links wont work if the IP address changes...

Regrads

Gary
garyberends

Operating System: Windows Server 2012

Postby DonD » 17. November 2016 17:30

Cheers Gary

I assumed that there was a setting in a config file that would automatically resolve the addresses to the local folder. I never thought of your simple solution :D

Donald
DonD

Operating System: Windows 10

Return to XAMPP for Windows