Xampp Upload / Download

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Xampp Upload / Download

Postby morpheusxeno » 08. November 2016 00:51

I am on the latest Xampp and on windows 10 Pro. I have a 1Gbps up and down.

All except a few PHP.INI settings are stock and unchanged. No extra modules have been loaded.

I have adjusted the PHP.ini files to allow uploaded files as large as 256MB. However the upload from a client speed seems to be capped at ~550KB/s to the server which is extremely frustrating. :(

Download speed from the server seems to also be limited to around 3-5MB/s How can I improve the performance of Xampp under windows 10 Pro.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5780223257
morpheusxeno

XAMPP version: 5.4
Operating System: windows 10

Re: Xampp Upload / Download

Postby Nobbie » 08. November 2016 12:55

I dont think you can adjust the speed, ask your provider if there is a limit for running servers on your account. The speedtest check runs as client, but Xampp runs as server.

Also keep in mind, that an upload speed does not only rely on your personal provider (that is only what we called "the last mile" in germany), but the SLOWEST part of the chain (or web) is responsible for the total speed. If the client (for example) does only support 550KB/s, the upload results in 550KB/s. Also if there is any gateway between your Xampp server and the client, there is a change of transfer speed. There is a "traceroute" program under linux which shows uo, which gateways and servers are passed when transferring a package from a server to a client. Each node may result in a speed loss.

Having a line with 1Gb Up/Down does NOT mean that all connections are running with that speed.

Finally, the setting of php.ini does only influence transfers using PHP scripts. For a benchmark you dont need PHP, simply put a big file somewhere on your Xampp server and apply an URL to that file, so that someone can download it directly. There is no PHP involved.

P.S.: Anyway, there might be a bottleneck on your Xampp PC as well. There is known issue if you put the DocumentRoot (c:/xampp/htdocs) on a network drive or NAS instead of drive C:
Nobbie

Postby morpheusxeno » 08. November 2016 17:22

Okay would you explain that better because it doesnt make sense.

You are telling me even though I can get a download speed of 120MB/s and an upload speed of 120MB/s than I cannot host services at those speeds?

This is a speed test while 4 of my clients where streaming video from the server.

I don't understand how I can download and upload to speedtest.net at 120MB/s but not serve a file or receive a file. More than 5MB/s ? My provider for ISP is a data center. Their job is to handle service of data transfer. I have multiple friends on different internet connections that are all limited to around ~550KB. File downloads from the server without scripts are only served 3-5MB/s
morpheusxeno

Postby Nobbie » 08. November 2016 17:52

morpheusxeno wrote:You are telling me even though I can get a download speed of 120MB/s and an upload speed of 120MB/s than I cannot host services at those speeds?

Exactly.

morpheusxeno wrote:I don't understand how I can download and upload to speedtest.net at 120MB/s but not serve a file or receive a file.

Your provider even can BLOCK all your server access. If you like to understand, you have to learn about TCPIP and how it works. Its not only "upload and download", its about Ports, about Quota, about Speed etc. etc. - youre provider only grants 1gb for your private clients (i.e. your browser). He simply can block all access from / to Port 80 for example, this makes it very difficult for you to run a webserver.

Last not least, the speed of an upload/download depends on the SLOWEST part, i do not have a 1gb line and when i want to upload/download anything from/to your private server, i am restricted to my personal speed, not to 1gb.
Nobbie

Postby morpheusxeno » 08. November 2016 18:21

That makes sense. But my slowest speed is 1gb/s that's my personal slow as well....
morpheusxeno

Postby Nobbie » 08. November 2016 18:38

morpheusxeno wrote:That makes sense. But my slowest speed is 1gb/s that's my personal slow as well....

Still only for that (small) part, you are paying for.

Have you ever heard about a so called "backbone"? The effective speed between a server and client heavily relies on the quality of the "backbone". Most parts of the backbone are owned by large internet providers, in germany its "telekom" (i think you have telekom in USA as well), but AT&T, Cingular etc. are the big players in the USA. Due to the characteristics of a "web" (world wide web), each node is important and the weakest part of a chain is responsible for the total power i.e. speed.

You MUST NOT believe, that you can run a 1GB server(!) at home for a few bucks per month. A 1gb line requires highly sophisticated technology (glas fibre?) and only very few parts of the giant WEB are realized via glas fibre. Your personal connection to the WEB runs with 1gb, but that does not mean, that every client in the WEB is connected with 1gb to your server. By far not!
Nobbie

Postby morpheusxeno » 08. November 2016 18:48

I dont know if you know what Data Center means but its not a "from home" location. Its a fiber based location. The server itself is a 1600$ Server.

You guys are talking about the network entirely too much. I believe the issue is not with the server. I believe it is with software. Xampp or windows specifically.

I mentioned that other friends I have have the same limitations to the server. All from different locations in the USA. All on different ISP's Some even using phones. I understand that not everyone connected to the server will get a 1gb/s connection I think at this point of explanation though you simply wont understand. Im not an idiot. Its very obvious to know that everyone that connects to the server will be limited by their internet.

What I am trying to say though is by everyone's personal invisible limits all of them seem to conclude that there is a bandwidth limit variable that seems to be enforced on all clients.
morpheusxeno

Postby Nobbie » 08. November 2016 19:18

morpheusxeno wrote:IXampp or windows specifically.

Maybe. If you go back, i already mentioned that there is a known issue with Apache, when your DocumentRoot is stored on a NAS or Network Drive. You did not respond to that, therefore i thought, that you already checked that. There is no general limitation to Windows or Xampp (Xampp is NOTHING, its a word, its simply an abbreveation for Apache, MySQL. PHP etc., but it is NOT a software, its a distribution).

morpheusxeno wrote:Im not an idiot.

Do you think, Im an idiot?? Dont be so rude, YOU ASKED FOR HELP, NOT ME!! DONT FORGET ABOUT THAT!! I even spoke english to you - can you speak german instead? No, of course not, and why not?

morpheusxeno wrote:What I am trying to say though is by everyone's personal invisible limits all of them seem to conclude that there is a bandwidth limit variable that seems to be enforced on all clients.

And i tell you, that there is NO bandwith limit. You are simply WRONG.

This is my last statement to your personal problem, good luck.
Nobbie

Postby morpheusxeno » 08. November 2016 19:29

When referring to Xampp I am referring to the package distribution. You know... one distributed on this very site.

By saying things like..

You MUST NOT believe, that you can run a 1GB server(!) at home for a few bucks per month.

This is a really rude thing to say to some one. Especially some one that understands the jist of networking. You are almost implying I am a dumb ass or something.

Dont be so rude, YOU ASKED FOR HELP, NOT ME!! DONT FORGET ABOUT THAT!! I even spoke english to you - can you speak german instead? No, of course not, and why not?

I wasnt trying to be rude. English is not my first language. I speak Russian. Do you speak Russian? No, of course not, and why not?
morpheusxeno

Return to XAMPP for Windows