Restoring Joomla website local server - fatal error

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Restoring Joomla website local server - fatal error

Postby joslmetz » 21. September 2016 14:34

I am very much a beginner and am learning. Please forgive any idiocies
I am at this moment trying to teach myself how to backup and restore a copy of my website between two local PCs on the same intranet.

I have xampp and Joomla 3.4* installed on Computer 1 and 2

I have created a test website (joomla 3.4) on Computer 1. I backed it up using Akeeba I used Filezilla to transfer the backup files it to Computer 2. I used Akeeba extract wizard on my transferred backup files. The extracted files now reside in their own folder (joslmetz) in htdocs.
All messages at all stages so far have been succesful operation.
I then access joslmetz under localhost and Angie kicks in to restore msy files. The message shows as succesful. until I click to see front end website which is last instruction in Angie and then I get a list of notices and warnings (available if interesting) and the final fatal error message attached.

Fatal error: Cannot use Joomla\String\String as String because 'String' is a special class name in C:\xampp\htdocs\joslmetz\libraries\vendor\joomla\registry\src\Format\Json.php on line 12

What do I need to do. *Please note that I have purposefully installed Joomla 3.4 to mirror a friend's website. So that I can take her through the steps she should follow to make site changes in a safe way and upgrade to 3.6. First of course I need to understand myself.

I will appreciate any advice
joslmetz

XAMPP version: 3.2.2
Operating System: windows 10

Re: Restoring Joomla website local server - fatal error

Postby Nobbie » 21. September 2016 21:33

joslmetz wrote:I will appreciate any advice

Ok, proceed to a Joomla support forum and ask there, as this is not a Xampp issue. You are simply wrong here, we cannot help you on Joomla problems.
Nobbie

Postby joslmetz » 21. September 2016 21:57

Thanks. Just for interest I found another string on this forum that enabled me to find an answer which was that my PHP level was incompatible with my Joomla level . I had installed the most recent XAMPP version on Computer 2 which included PHP 7 n which was incompatible with Joomla 3.4. I needed to install the previous version of XAMPP. Which I did and problem solved. Difficult to spot the boundary between XAMPP and Joomla in this case.
joslmetz

Postby Nobbie » 22. September 2016 12:31

joslmetz wrote:Difficult to spot the boundary between XAMPP and Joomla in this case.

its not a question of "boundary", its still a Joomla issue. Joomla requires PHP5 and then you cannot use a Xampp version which comes with PHP7. But the issue remains a Joomla issue.

Think of software, which requires Windows10 for example and it fails to run on Windows XP (for example). That is of course an issue of that software, it is not a Windows issue. Same thing here, first of all you have to establish a runtime environment, which fits to the needs of Joomla. Xampp does not mind, which Joomla version you will try to install. Just vice verse, Joomla requires a certain Xampp version. A Joomla support forum (as well as an installation description) should give you the information, which PHP versions are supported. But a Xampp forum cannot give you any information, which Joomla releases are supported. Therefore, you should ask in Joomla forum. Joomla needs a Server environment like Xampp, but Xampp does not need Joomla.
Nobbie

Postby joslmetz » 22. September 2016 12:56

Nobbie. I appreciate you taking the time to provide such a clear explanation which makes loads of sense. I hadn't given it much thought but was surprised how many different software elements are involved in managing a website. But it is an interesting challenge.
joslmetz

Return to XAMPP for Windows