xampp-linux-5.6.23-0 32 bit on ubuntu-16.04.1-desktop-i386

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

xampp-linux-5.6.23-0 32 bit on ubuntu-16.04.1-desktop-i386

Postby Heineken » 30. July 2016 13:26

About this post can be found below the --- line
Note: this is not a guide yet, just a text about my progress!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Apache friends.
I have spend around 7 hours almost every day in two weeks trying to set up server on linux computer.
i already using it on windows computer but i want a live server not just a local host, that can use ssl and cron having mail system, saving files as tar.gz etc. just like when i pay for having my site on a host, and the optimal solution for me is having it on a linux system,

But i run in to tons of problems every time i try to do it. and i cant spend all day week after week trying to solve it, so like to make this thread here so we can end up with a guide to setting it up, once and for all.

I know forum rules says one question pr topic, but in this case i think its best let all questions be in same topic, cause have al ready tried count less times jump from one topic to another, each problem has has at-least 3 different solutions and every time having followed one solution that fixed one thing it just caused another problem right after.
not that all solutions vas from apache friends , and its not for nagging anyone,i am sure everyone is doing what they can to help, have been using google and searched for latest solutions. and have a bit flair for finding out if solution is useful, so much have learned by working with ubuntu for around a year.,

Here is my latest try, written just as example to show my problems, installed ubuntu ran update installed xampp. every thing went OK. added my site to htdocs folder set up database started my system and everything was running fine as local host,
then i restarted ubuntu started xampp up in terminal and went to htdocs/myproject folder.
and began working on my site, but i was not able to save my file after editing nor could i rename folder or unpacking files,
said did not have right permissions to do that,

so found guide about permissions ran some terminal commands set up me as user and adm as group so now having all permissions and was ready to go, started server up again it was running but now strange thing happen the process in terminal did not stop, and when editing file new terminal window kept coming with error messages about BIT not set if remember right,
but it saved my work, so went further with setting system up managed to set up so it instead of using localhost was using my domain, and as it already has DNS set up so every thing should be fine, so typed my domain name in browser and great it was up and running, but no it was still just local nothing was live.
that is why like to make guide here write all down and all problems in this thread if it is OK
Heineken

XAMPP version: xampp-linux 5.6.23.0
Operating System: ubuntu 16.04 lts desktop 32bit

Re: xampp-linux-5.6.23-0 32 bit on ubuntu-16.04.1-desktop-i3

Postby Nobbie » 30. July 2016 15:25

You will be surprised... (it will be a MOUNTAIN to climb!).
Nobbie

Postby Heineken » 30. July 2016 17:00

i am aware of it
Heineken

Postby Heineken » 30. July 2016 17:24

Step one making ubuntu on a stick:
I am no pro Linux user so i just write what i believe is right, feel free to help and comment.
my system use Intel processor so install ubuntu 32 bit even that my CPU can use 64 bit
and using a USB stick for making the installation media.(i am using windows pc to make my stick)

i choose the ubuntu desktop version as i am use to work in windows and like to be able to use the graphical interface.

tip: if your computer has USB 3.0 port you can speed up the installation process by using a USB 3.0 stick
(NOTE: not all computers with USB 3.0 can boot form them due to some times a driver has to be installed before it works, so if any problems with boot you can just use the 2.0 port instead)

I use latest stable ubuntu "ubuntu-16.04.1-desktop-i386.iso"
download page: http://releases.ubuntu.com/16.04/
file: http://releases.ubuntu.com/16.04/ubuntu-16.04.1-desktop-i386.iso

How to make bootable USB stick with ubuntu on in windows using rufus:
Site: http://rufus.akeo.ie/?locale=en_US
Portable file: http://rufus.akeo.ie/downloads/rufus-2.10p.exe

First remove all USB drives to avoid erasing wrong stick.
connect your USB stick
Tip if stick previous had other boot system on it can conflict with windows so windows can´t format it. but rufus can, so think good idea just start doing that.

Start Rufus
first field is your device
half down is format options
mark only quick format
click start
next mark the two next options
create bootable disk using and in pull-down choose ISO Image click the little disk icon and select the iso file
mark the next option, create extended label and icon files
click start
it will pop-up ask you what type to choose
first one is USB boot system, second one lure the computer to think its a hard drive
smart if there is problems with booting as USB drive. but if for some reason you want to see the files on the stick you can´t if it´s made as hard drive.
i just use first option and click OK

USB stick is now ready, remember eject it in windows before removing it.

to be continued ....
PS: tried add images but they end being too small to see and using URL tag was not allowed
Heineken

Postby Heineken » 05. August 2016 13:47

I am dropping using xampp too much problems to solve.
Heineken

Postby Nobbie » 05. August 2016 15:53

Heineken wrote:I am dropping using xampp too much problems to solve.

LOL!!

It's what i said. And its not due to Xampp, its due to the fact, that this is really difficult stuff. And a lot of stuff.
Nobbie

Postby Heineken » 08. August 2016 11:59

deleted about other system it was no good ;)
Heineken

Postby Nobbie » 08. August 2016 12:56

Heineken wrote:deleted about other system it was no good ;)

No, i know, but did not want to bother you. I dont like Webmin etc.

Xampp is not sooo bad, but whatever you take, it is a hard job and quite a lot to learn.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Linux