Mysqldump Error

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Mysqldump Error

Postby drdx » 22. July 2016 20:39

Hi All,

I am trying to run mysqldump from a command prompt within Windows 2012, and when I do so I get an error message saying "This app can't run on your PC". I am running from an elevated command prompt on the administrator account. I've done a bunch of Google searches and have not found a solution. How do I fix this?

Thanks,

Drdx
drdx

XAMPP version: 3.2.1
Operating System: Windows Server 2012

Re: Mysqldump Error

Postby Nobbie » 23. July 2016 12:36

How did you run mysqldump in the terminal? The Xampp installation path usually is NOT part of the system PATH, so simply entering "mysqldump" might start a different mysqldump than from Xampp?!

The message sometimes means, that one tries to run a 64bit App in an 32bit Environment. But there are also different reasons, if you cannot find out any reason, you should contact Microsoft. What happens, if you simply try to start "mysql" (= the interpreter shell)? And i wonder, that "mysqld" (= the MySQL server) runs on the same PC. This leads me to the idea (see above), that there might be another MySQL installation on your server.
Nobbie

Postby drdx » 23. July 2016 21:36

I've tried running it as C:\xampp\mysql\bin\mysqldump and it presents the same error, so it isn't a path issue.

When I run C:\xampp\mysql\bin\mysql it executes just fine.

There is no other MySQL instance I am aware of on the server.

Drdx
drdx

Postby drdx » 23. July 2016 22:19

I'm not sure how this happened, but upon further examination, the mysqldump.exe file was shown as 0 bytes in Windows explorer.

So, I installed the same version of XAMPP on another Windows computer and copied the mysqldump.exe file over, and now it appears to be working properly.

Drdx
drdx

Postby Nobbie » 24. July 2016 12:36

drdx wrote:I'm not sure how this happened, but upon further examination, the mysqldump.exe file was shown as 0 bytes in Windows explorer.

Either a corrupted installer (or a corrupted ZIP file) may cause this, or accidently caused from another tool, for example if you redirect output to mysqldump.exe or similar. A different system date of mysqldump.exe than mysql.exe for example might give a clue. If the date is the same, already the installation may have failed. Anyway, its running now and thats all we need.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Windows