MySQL Workbench - Connection Warning Workbench

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

MySQL Workbench - Connection Warning Workbench

Postby abladb » 14. June 2016 05:06

Morning,

I am new on xampp and MySQL, but old in Oracle PLSQL, and... I need help. I have read MySQL Workbench is a great free tool that works with either MySQL and MariaDB so I have chosen it as developing tool.

I am trying to make my first connection to MySQL Server using the Workbench. Having the last xampp version installed and working, the Workbench comes out with:

"Incompatible/nonstandard server connection or connection protocol detected (10.1.13)
[...]
MySQL Workbench is developed and tested for MySQL Server version 5.1, 5.5, 5.6 and 5.7"

----- features:
Xampp last version: XAMPP for Windows 7.0.6
MySQL version: 10.1.13-MariaDB

MySQL Workbench exe: mysql-workbench-6-3-4-32-bit-multi-win
----------------

Since I have read somewhere the Workbench works as well with MariaDB, but both programs are either new or the latest versions, what's the problem? Doesn't the Workbench work anymore with MariaDB? What other developing tools do you recommend me to use with the same features that may work with Xampp's latest version?

Thank you in advance.
abladb

XAMPP version: 7.0.6
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: MySQL Workbench - Connection Warning Workbench

Postby Nobbie » 14. June 2016 10:26

You should ask that in a MySQL Workbench Forum, it is not part of Xampp. Xampp delivers PhpMyAdmin instead and it is preconfigured to run out of the box.
Nobbie

Postby abladb » 15. June 2016 04:32

I know and I did. But, since I know the difference between MySQL Server and MariaDB, Oracle versus OpenSource, I thought they will answer me: "for running MySQL Workbench you need to run a lower version of xampp", but hey!! Nobody is interested on running lower versions right? We are creating the future, not the past.

:)

That's why I ask you if you know other tool that may work with the same features than the Workbench, but ok with Xampp's latest version.

Any suggestion?
This is my configuration:
XAMPP for Windows 7.0.6

Developing tool: mysql-workbench-6-3-4-32-bit-multi-win
abladb

Postby Nobbie » 15. June 2016 10:53

abladb wrote:Any suggestion?

No, you are still barking up the wrong tree. Xampp cannot do anything for you, it is not a Xampp problem.

abladb wrote: but hey!! Nobody is interested on running lower versions right? We are creating the future, not the past.

Actually, I dont agree. Xampp is meant as a development environment and should match the production server as close as possible. Most providers (by far!) do not run the newest (unstable) versions, they are working with older versions. That is the goal of Xampp and I cannot see the advantage of running a server environment, that does not match the production server and even is not tested with many popular tools (like WordPress, Joomla etc. all these may have issues with the newest releases of PHP etc.). It is not that easy as you might think.

abladb wrote:That's why I ask you if you know other tool that may work with the same features than the Workbench, but ok with Xampp's latest version.

I already answered that question as well:

Nobbie wrote:Xampp delivers PhpMyAdmin instead and it is preconfigured to run out of the box.
Nobbie

Postby abladb » 15. June 2016 11:32

Nobbie wrote: [...]Actually, I dont agree. Xampp is meant as a development environment and should match the production server as close as possible. Most providers (by far!) do not run the newest (unstable) versions, they are working with older versions. That is the goal of Xampp and I cannot see the advantage of running a server environment, that does not match the production server and even is not tested with many popular tools (like WordPress, Joomla etc. all these may have issues with the newest releases of PHP etc.). It is not that easy as you might think.

Really? So versions in Xampp are equivalent to Microsoft making technology during the past 20 years? I mean, by creating something full of mistakes but new for everyone, and having thousands of upgrades during the year? Got it! I thought it was like Apple, a working environment that may have just one or two upgrades during the year for fixing bugs.

Thanks for the advice!! So, which Xampp version should I download that works with MySql 5.5 or greater?
XAMPP for Windows 7.0.6

abladb

Postby studio_two » 15. June 2016 12:37

Hello Abladb,

I think you were a little unlucky here, as XAMPP has recently switched to MariaDB for the Database Services. I stumbled upon the same issue this morning when upgrading from 1.7.3 to 5.6.21, only to discover that I couldn't risk restoring my Database Files using Workbench (due to the warning).

Normally, you would be fine with the XAMPP / MySQL Workbench Combo, and it is much easier to use than using phpMyAdmin.

The most recent version of XAMPP that uses MySQL appears to be 5.6.12 (c/w MySQL 5.6.26). I will be upgrading to that version, and then re-assessing further.

Hope that is some help to you.

Regards, Stephen
studio_two

XAMPP version: 5.6.12
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional

Postby abladb » 15. June 2016 12:59

studio_two wrote:[...] The most recent version of XAMPP that uses MySQL appears to be 5.6.12 (c/w MySQL 5.6.26). I will be upgrading to that version, and then re-assessing further.

Hope that is some help to you.

Regards, Stephen

Yes, it helps a lot!! Thank you so much.

As I said before, I posted almost the same issue to MySQL Forum with no answers as you can see it here:
http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?152,646899,646899#msg-646899

So I feel afortunate you both answered me back.

Thank you both, and special thanks to Stephen.
XAMPP for Windows 7.0.6

abladb

Postby Nobbie » 15. June 2016 14:01

abladb wrote:Really? So versions in Xampp are equivalent to Microsoft making technology during the past 20 years? I mean, by creating something full of mistakes but new for everyone, and having thousands of upgrades during the year? Got it!

Obviously, you did not get it. Good luck, you will need it.

P.S.: This is really strange. Why are you here? Because MySQLWorkbench does NOT properly work together with the newest release of Xampp. EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM AS FOR MANY OTHER TOOLS (many of them based on older PHP versions). So even if you know, which problems may arise, you are playing jokes on your missing skill and missing understanding, like this horribly stupid comparison to Microsoft Technologie. It is really hard to believe.
Nobbie

Postby Nobbie » 15. June 2016 14:15

studio_two wrote:and it is much easier to use than using phpMyAdmin.

??

I cannot set where PhpMyAdmin is NOT easy to use. It is a normal, superlogical SQL GUI. What is "much easier" in the Workbench??
Nobbie

Postby studio_two » 15. June 2016 14:30

abladb wrote:Yes, it helps a lot!! Thank you so much.

No worries. Glad to be of service.

Regards, Stephen
studio_two

XAMPP version: 5.6.12
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional

Postby Nobbie » 15. June 2016 14:45

I just installed this Workbench (and many other tools) and finally, i also received this warning (yes, it is only a warning) about the server 10.1.13 - i simply clicked on "Continue anyway" and the Workbench started up without any further problems.

WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM??
Nobbie

Postby abladb » 15. June 2016 15:11

Nobbie wrote:[...]P.S.: This is really strange. Why are you here? Because MySQLWorkbench does NOT properly work together with the newest release of Xampp. EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM AS FOR MANY OTHER TOOLS (many of them based on older PHP versions). So even if you know, which problems may arise, you are playing jokes on your missing skill and missing understanding, like this horribly stupid comparison to Microsoft Technologie. It is really hard to believe.

I can see you didn't get it either. But it is ok. Studio_two understood it correctly.

My problem was that after receiving the warning message, there was no connection between the workbench and Xampp's MariaDB. I'll do what Stephen has suggested to me.

crossing my fingers!!

:)
XAMPP for Windows 7.0.6

abladb

Postby Nobbie » 15. June 2016 18:20

abladb wrote:I can see you didn't get it either.

OMG. Replacing knowledge by arrogance is never a good idea.

abladb wrote:My problem was that after receiving the warning message, there was no connection between the workbench and Xampp's MariaDB

Your arrogance did not help you? I dont have any problems with the same environment (especially MariaDB). But I am out of here.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Windows