Create another web site under Xampp

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Create another web site under Xampp

Postby LloydEwing » 15. May 2016 09:34

I have a Wordpress web site hosted with Xampp, and I need to create a second web site. Searching the forums, I see that this is done by creating an new directory under htdocs and installing another copy of Wordpress in that directory. Is that really what happens? So if I needed ten local web sites under Xampp, does that mean it would be necessary to have ten complete copies of Wordpress installed on the computer?

Thanks for your help and your patience,
Lloyd
LloydEwing

XAMPP version: win32-1.8.2-6
Operating System: Win XP

Re: Create another web site under Xampp

Postby Nobbie » 15. May 2016 10:51

LloydEwing wrote:I have a Wordpress web site hosted with Xampp, and I need to create a second web site. Searching the forums, I see that this is done by creating an new directory under htdocs and installing another copy of Wordpress in that directory. Is that really what happens? So if I needed ten local web sites under Xampp, does that mean it would be necessary to have ten complete copies of Wordpress installed on the computer?

Yes.

But this is not a question of Xampp (neither any other Apache Distribution), it is a question of WordPress. That is the design of WordPress. Honestly, it is very very very unusual to have more than one WordPress Project. The very most people develop one WordPress Installation for their Website. And not more.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Windows