How to Auto Start LAMPP

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Re: How to Auto Start LAMPP

Postby adam1969in » 07. January 2015 03:18

It works, Superb. I am using RHEL 5.9 and after editing rc.local and a restart, it works.
adam1969in

Operating System: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.9

Postby hanpedro » 08. November 2015 18:01

At centos 7.1 x64, I got lampp auto-start.

Code: Select all
cd /etc/rc.d/init.d/
ln -s /opt/lampp/lampp

chkconfig --add lampp
/etc/rc.d/init.d/lampp start
hanpedro

Operating System: SCientific Linux 6.1 x86

Postby NOD32user » 17. December 2015 10:32

Not working Fedora 22 x64

The idea of adding as a service with chkconfig is novel although if you get the runlevels right it makes the system busy, scripting files for startup are gone earlier than Fedora 22 as noted /etc/rc.d/init.d/README

Can we please have an XAMPP tut for Fedora 22 put somewhere on the public internet, they answer all the questions in one document and save thousands of hours of distro specific research. Even though for non-production environments the tutorial should take a production approach to the information provided and be including multiple private user access. Put me in front of the correct geek knowing the correct working solution and I will be happy to write the manual. Even if like git you sell the manual.

Installing and use of Xampp 5.5.30-6 on Fedora 22
-Installation
-Automatic startups
-Confirming security configuration.
-Enabling eaccelerator / Zend
-Establishing vhosts
-Using Filezilla Server god help us proftpd.

I do have an xampp.desktop file at ~/.config/autostart to launch manager but that is not what I want.

--NOD32user
NOD32user

Operating System: Fedora 22 4.0.4-301.fc22.x86_6

Postby blaineca » 06. April 2016 04:24

can't find rc.local anywhere
blaineca

XAMPP version: 7.0.4
Operating System: OpenSuse

Postby Nobbie » 07. April 2016 10:23

OpenSuSE does not have any rc.local file.

As far as i could find on Google, you should try /etc/init.d/after.local instead.
Nobbie

Postby arcanisgk » 10. February 2017 17:31

hello friend, I'm new with ubuntu, as it is in version 16.04
arcanisgk

Operating System: Ubuntu 15.04 Server Vivid

Postby HokuApps » 18. September 2017 08:09

You can edit the rc.local file to auto start lampp. use root login and edit /etc/rc.local file and add line /opt/lampp/lampp start to end of the file.
HokuApps

XAMPP version: 1.8.0
Operating System: Windows

Postby GSX3100r » 10. February 2019 00:34

Is there a English version of these instructions ?

I made it this far and need translation "Using a root login, su or sudo, start a term session"

"Using a root login" login into WHAT?

"su or sudo" What ?

"start a term session"" What is a terms session?

There must be step by step instructions? No Icon to start the XAMPP GIU no "auto start server" options in the GIU?

Thanks.
GSX3100r

XAMPP version: 7.3.1-0
Operating System: Linux Mint

Postby Nobbie » 10. February 2019 12:41

GSX3100r wrote:Is there a English version of these instructions ?

It is already in english.

GSX3100r wrote:I made it this far and need translation "Using a root login, su or sudo, start a term session"

This simply means you have to start a terminal and execute all commands as superuser.

GSX3100r wrote:"Using a root login" login into WHAT?

Into your linux computer, whatelse?? When you start your linux, you are asked to login. But you cannot login as "root" on Linux Mint, this is prohibited for safety reasons. Therefore you must use the other way, either "su" or "sudo".

GSX3100r wrote:"su or sudo" What ?

You dont have the slightest idea about linux, am i right? "su" and "sudo" are shell commands, enter "man su" in a terminal and read the manual! Same for "man sudo"! There is a simple trick how to run a terminal as superuser: simply start a Terminal and enter "sudo su" (you are asked for your password, after then you are running with root permissions, beware, you can destroy your linux!). Read the manual first!

GSX3100r wrote:"start a term session"" What is a terms session?

A terminal. I am just working with Linux Mint 19.1 and it comes with three different terminals, either "Terminal" or "UXTerm" or "XTerm". Each of them is fine.

GSX3100r wrote:There must be step by step instructions?

A step by step instruction for more than 100 different linux distributions, all working differently, all coming in different releases and versions? Its not Windows, Its Linux. You may enter the Bitnami Team and do that very sophisticated job how to add startup programs in every linux distribution.

GSX3100r wrote:No Icon to start the XAMPP GIU no "auto start server" options in the GIU?

Its "GUI" not "GIU". No, no icon in Xampp GUI, same problem as before, there are too many different distributions and too many different startup routines. It is ON YOU to find out, how to add a startup program to your choosen distribution. There are plenty of tutorials (even in Youtube), you also could buy a linux book and learn how linux is working. The boot process is far more complex than in Windows.

P.S.: I just enabled Xampp in Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.1 startup at boot time (and a clean stop at shutdown as well), open a terminal and enter all commands, one after the other, step by step. Dont miss one, they look all similar, but you MUST NOT change anything. You will be asked for your password on the first sudo, later on you dont need to provide it anymore:

sudo ln -s /opt/lampp/lampp /etc/init.d/lampp

sudo ln -s /etc/init.d/lampp /etc/rc0.d/K01lampp

sudo ln -s /etc/init.d/lampp /etc/rc1.d/K01lampp

sudo ln -s /etc/init.d/lampp /etc/rc2.d/S01lampp

sudo ln -s /etc/init.d/lampp /etc/rc3.d/S01lampp

sudo ln -s /etc/init.d/lampp /etc/rc4.d/S01lampp

sudo ln -s /etc/init.d/lampp /etc/rc5.d/S01lampp

sudo ln -s /etc/init.d/lampp /etc/rc6.d/K01lampp

DO NOT enter these commands manually, use copy & paste and do not change anything. After you have submitted all commands, reboot your linux. Open a browser and enter http://localhost - the Xampp dashboard should appear.
Nobbie

Postby GSX3100r » 05. March 2019 00:33

Thanks for the reply sorry for the slow reply been working doubles 7 days a week starting the day I asked the question.

I found a easier solution, install VirtualBox, install Windows 10, install The Uniform Server http://www.uniformserver.com/
its the most commonsensical intuitive solution I have found I will give XAMPP another try when it catches up to Uniform Server and or when I get some more free time to play.

I saved your reply as a HTML file and put it in my WWW directory in Uniform Server and bookmarked for future reference.

Thanks again for the help.
GSX3100r

XAMPP version: 7.3.1-0
Operating System: Linux Mint

Postby atharvpatil » 02. May 2019 08:19

Same here, How to solve it.
atharvpatil

XAMPP version: 7.2
Operating System: Ubuntu

Postby r.jc » 09. July 2019 09:51

kimmy wrote:Has any one got this to work on xampp 1.8.1 yet ? as the file path not there :(

No directory exists @ /etc/rc.d/ or rc.local is @ /etc/

Edit i was having a silly moment.

Try to folder ../lampp/lampp/
r.jc

XAMPP version: 7.3.3
Operating System: Windows 7 64bit

Postby r.jc » 09. July 2019 09:53

HokuApps wrote:You can edit the rc.local file to auto start lampp. use root login and edit /etc/rc.local file and add line /opt/lampp/lampp start to end of the file.

@kimmy, follow this ..
Good luck, budy
r.jc

XAMPP version: 7.3.3
Operating System: Windows 7 64bit

Postby Doug-W5DET » 25. August 2020 15:32

The Linux FAQ at the AF website and embedded in the XAMPP installation do not address recent linux versions using systemd.
It would be worthwhile for AF to update the FAQ to include instructions for autostarting under systemd such as found at
https://www.computernetworkingnotes.com/linux-tutorials/auto-start-xampp-at-startup-in-ubuntu-linux.html.
Doug-W5DET

XAMPP version: 7.2.32.0
Operating System: Linuxmint 19.3

Postby Nobbie » 25. August 2020 18:57

Hm. I am running Linux Mint 19.3, which is based on Ubuntu 18.04.3. I still have Xampp configured to run via init.d (not systemd) and its working fine. Maybe its due to Linux Mint, dont know. Anyway, i dont think that this an issue for Bitnami and Xampp, there is no need to explain for all existing distributions how to start Xampp at boot time.

Xampp comes with an easily to use shell script, which enables everyone to start Xampp via terminal. If someone needs more, its HIS job to find out how to start services/daemons on his system. Thats not specific to Xampp. I dont think Bitnami will create documentations for each and every distribution out there.
Nobbie

PreviousNext

Return to XAMPP for Linux