How to Configure XAMPP for HTTPS?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

How to Configure XAMPP for HTTPS?

Postby michaelnorth » 07. March 2016 16:51

Hi,

I'm just getting started with XAMPP with the idea of developing WordPress sites on my local machine. Most of my sites use HTTPS, that is, they have SSL Certificate on the remote server.

How can I setup XAMPP to similate a HTTPS environment so that I'm not constantly confronted with errors and so there is no problem when I migrate the site to the remote server?

I read many posts and have not found a clear, simple, gui-based method to do this. And I'm not sure if this is something that's done with the browser (Chrome) or the XAMPP installation. By the way, running Windows 7 Ultimate.

Can someone either provide step-by-step instruction or link to a proven, straightforward method?
michaelnorth

Operating System: Windows 7

Re: How to Configure XAMPP for HTTPS?

Postby JJ_Tagy » 07. March 2016 18:02

And you won't find an "easy button" to do all of this. The 'S' being trusted means that a certificate server must agree that you are who you say you are and you generally meet certain security criteria. You can self sign your own certificate, but browsers can tell the difference and will still pop a warning.
JJ_Tagy

XAMPP version: 5.5.15
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64

Postby michaelnorth » 07. March 2016 18:27

@jj No easy button? Sad :-\ . . . but I still need to do it. I don't mind buying a cert if necessary, but don't know how to proceed from there.

I'm not concerned about submitting forms, credit card transactions, or sending email from the local installation. I just don't want links to break once the site is migrated up to the remote server, or have other problems with the migration. I'm thinking that means running HTTPS in XAMPP.
michaelnorth

Operating System: Windows 7

Postby JJ_Tagy » 07. March 2016 18:58

You might want to look at prices before you jump. Check out Comodo as an example.

If you plan to not use anything that really needs secure, why not build in http and then just change to https before pushing once things look like you want?

Edit: Depending on the browser, I think you can self sign and trust, but you risk configuration errors when moving.
JJ_Tagy

XAMPP version: 5.5.15
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64

Postby Nobbie » 07. March 2016 19:23

michaelnorth wrote:@jj No easy button? Sad :-\

"Sad" is funny. Of course, running and administrating a webserver is not a task for beginners. Thats the simple truth, its difficult, yes. You also cannot simply jump onto a tennis court and play like Djokovicz. That is how life is. And administrating an Apache webserver requires a lot of knowlegde, it is not solitaire or similar.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Windows