I need 2 WP dev sites - can I do that in XAMMP for Win?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

I need 2 WP dev sites - can I do that in XAMMP for Win?

Postby xammpuser » 03. March 2016 17:50

Hi, I am new to XAMMP - I installed the very newest XAMMP (7)for Windows and installed one instance of Wordpress 4.2 and a new WP theme to develop and that is working fine.

BUT, I want to have one more WP theme to work on at the same time in its own instance of Wordpress...will this require me to install another instance of XAMMP on the C drive (for example XAMMP 2 - with new WP files) for each WP site I want to work on at the same time?

If I can develop more than one WP site in XAMMP how would I install the second WP site and set it up in my existing XAMMP install?

Thanks in advance for any insight.
xammpuser

Operating System: Windows 7

Re: I need 2 WP dev sites - can I do that in XAMMP for Win?

Postby Nobbie » 03. March 2016 18:16

xammpuser wrote:BUT, I want to have one more WP theme to work on at the same time in its own instance of Wordpress...will this require me to install another instance of XAMMP on the C drive (for example XAMMP 2

No.

You simply need another Wordpress folder and another MySQL Database (i.e. http://localhost/wordpress1 and http://localhost/wordpress2 or similar). You may also use the same Database, but choose different Table Prefixes for the installation.
Nobbie

Postby xammpuser » 07. March 2016 11:35

Thanks,

You're talking to a total newbie and first-time XAMMP user here.

I understand how to easily install another WP Folder - but where do I get another copy of MySQL database - and where/how would I install it in XAMMP?
xammpuser

Operating System: Windows 7

Postby Nobbie » 07. March 2016 12:01

xammpuser wrote:I understand how to easily install another WP Folder - but where do I get another copy of MySQL database - and where/how would I install it in XAMMP?

You dont need "a copy" of another database, MySQL can handle as many database as you need. When installing wordpress, you are asked for a database, simply provide any (new) database name as you like. I dont know, if Wordpress automatically creates that database, if not, you have to do so with the help of Phpmyadmin.

If you are still unsure, you may also use the same database for both Wordpress installations (as i already said above), but you must provide at least different table prefixes.

If you still dont know what to do, you should go for some tutorials about that. That is the way everybody has to go.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Windows