FTP username for standard XAMPP install

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

FTP username for standard XAMPP install

Postby edzillion » 18. September 2010 18:17

Hi Guys

I am trying to work on my wordpress locally but when I try to install a plugin I get an FTP error and it asks me to enter the username and password for FTP. I was never asked to set up a FTP acct on XAMPP so I thought there might be a default one. Had a look around and there are people saying various things, but mostly something like

user: nobody
password: xampp

this doesn't work of course. How do I change the FTP users, passes etc? I don't see the option anywhere.

I had a look around and found a ProFTPD.conf file and in it it said something like

user nobody pass *********

where *'s are some alphanumeric password. Tried this, and also tried editing the password in the conf file, neither of which worked.

any ideas?

thanks for your help

ed
edzillion

Re: FTP username for standard XAMPP install

Postby MegaChriz » 20. September 2010 07:50

Well, user 'nobody' with password 'xampp' is the default FTP setup for XAMPP. But in some XAMPP versions FTP was not properly working.
You can do two things:
- Try to change the password of xampp FTP user by running the xampp security program in the Terminal.
- Use the built-in FTP from Mac OS X

Change FTP password in XAMPP
1. Startup Terminal.
2. Type 'sudo su' and press return.
3. Type in the password of the administrator account of your Mac. You don't see an indication that you are typing your password.
You are now logged in as superuser in the Terminal. Be careful now with typing commands, because you can totally mess up your system if you don't know what you are doing.
4. Type in this command:
Code: Select all
/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/xampp security

With security program you can set some passwords for XAMPP, MySQL, phpMyAdmin and FTP. First you will be asked about settings passwords for XAMPP and MySQL, but finally you can set a password for the FTP-user.
Make sure you make a backup of your XAMPP installation before starting the security program! In some XAMPP version I had noticed there were some bugs in this program which mess ups your XAMPP installation (it can happen you suddenly have no access to phpMyAdmin anymore, for example).

Use built-in FTP from Mac OS X
1. Open System preferences.
2. Go to Share.
3. Turn on 'File sharing'.
4. With 'file sharing' selected in the list, click on 'options'.
5. An new window will appear above the System preferences window. You can turn on 'Share files and folders via FTP' here. If you have done that, your FTP login will be:
username: short name of the administrator account of your Mac.
password: the password that belongs to that account.
MegaChriz

Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby angela_zou » 30. November 2011 06:32

Hi,

I'm also having a problem with FTP connection for my local Wordpress installation. I'm using the default username and password, and I can connect to the local server via FTP using FileZilla and the above credential. I have also enabled File Sharing (of the htdocs folder) on the local computer, but I am still not able establish a connection when Wordpress requested the connection details.
You can see a screenshot at http://gallery.centilin.com/Picture%201.png

Angela
angela_zou

Operating System: Mac OS X Leopard

Postby JonB » 30. November 2011 12:41

You might (or might not) be able to benefit from this post.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=49073

After all - Mac's and Linux are *nix at the core -

It's a fairly common issue on all platforms with WordPress. I don't suspect FTP designers expected folks with local access to the filesystem to want to 'FTP' in. (do I have some funny stories about that :D - like "you mean I can just COPY the files over there?")

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby angela_zou » 30. November 2011 13:22

Okay, so for local host, I can't FTP anywhere. But what about on the server? I mean if I were to install this on a production server that has a public IP, do I make FTP connection to the public IP (loopback, anyone)?

Angela
angela_zou

Postby JonB » 30. November 2011 15:27

The right way to test would be to connect to your XAMPP machine on your local network using the IP address of the machine that XAMPP is installed on. It would not have to be another Mac, just would have to be on the same subnet.

As I have not used XAMPP for Mac's - what is the FTP program in the installation??? - On LAMPP, the program is ProFTPd, and the default user is 'nobody'. 'nobody' is a special user on Linux filesystems - I think it does not belong to any groups (among other properties). I found that part out reading the comments in the bash file that powers LAMPP.

I have some suggestions of the other part, I will post them later. I had it ready, but highlighted it and fumbled the ^C and wound up with just 'c' to post (ARRRRGH)

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Postby angela_zou » 01. December 2011 02:43

Hi Jon,

I'm posting this because I will be installing the Wordpress application onto a production server and fine tune it in the end. I have some experience with server, but most of which deals with network, not web (and IIS and stuff). I'm currently test driving WP on my Mac because its way easier (I still couldn't get my Win2008 server up and running, which is a pain). I'm using FileZilla and the credential of nobody/xampp. The FTP connection works fine for FileZilla but not Wordpress.

Angela
angela_zou

Postby JonB » 01. December 2011 04:05

When its on a production server, the admin can generally auto-update in the Dashboard (at least on Apache servers). Often the owner of the folder(s) is the FTP user, which might be what makes that possible. I do have a WP Install on a Server 2003, but its 'my server' and I tend to do custom stuff, so I usually remote desktop to DL updates and such, then 'put them where they belong' -- then they show up as 'installable' in the Dashboard.

I think all these issues are related to ownership and permissions - which is a complicated topic. Who is the owner of the folder that 'wordpress' is in, and what are the file permissions set to?

(that's the jist of what I posted and lost earlier for your other topic....)

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Postby payetteforward » 10. January 2014 16:58

Hi Guys:

I was able to login to the ProFTPD server included with XAMPP with the following settings:

server: localhost
username: My OS X username (name of my home folder)
password: My OS X password

I assume the process is the same for Windows and Linux. Deceivingly simple!

Have a great day,
David
payetteforward

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Postby waleeed » 04. February 2016 05:58

I am trying to work on my wordpress locally but when I try to install a plugin I get an FTP error and it asks me to enter the username and password for FTP. I was never asked to set up a FTP acct on XAMPP so I thought there might be a default one. Had a look around and there are people saying various things, but mostly something like
waleeed

Operating System: sgsfgs

Postby Nobbie » 04. February 2016 11:32

waleeed wrote:Had a look around and there are people saying various things, but mostly something like

.... like what?
Nobbie

Postby NobuLeonhart » 01. March 2016 13:00

I also had this problem, I use XAMPP 5.6.3 on Lubuntu and my default FTP user was not "nobody" but "daemon", so:

username: daemon
pass: xampp

If this is not your default user/pass, just launch:
/<xampp folder>/xampp security
it will ask you some questions, be careful to leave all options as they are and in the end it will display your ftp user and pass and ask you if you want to change it.
Hope this helps.
NobuLeonhart

Operating System: Lubuntu 15.10

Postby anissa » 27. August 2023 22:36

server: localhost

username: daemon

pass: xampp
anissa

XAMPP version: v3.3
Operating System: windows

Return to XAMPP for macOS