Setting Up PHP Using Xampp, andTextWrangler

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Setting Up PHP Using Xampp, andTextWrangler

Postby Henpo1975 » 16. February 2016 17:37

Hi. I am having trouble understanding the concept of setting up PHP with XAMPP and my text editor "TextWrangler". I have all 3 servers running in XAMPP, and I'm as far as being able to type "localhost" and pull up "Myphpadmin", but I cannot seem to be able to simply type in "localhost" in a web browser and have my saved php file come up. I have created a folder in my "XAMPP/htdocs" folder and saved the file there as it should be from what I've been gathering, but it doesn't come up in my browser. What in the heck am I doing wrong? In "HTML/CSS", which I know is not server-side, I can type in "localhost" and access the html file, but is this different? In "TEXTWRANGLER" there is also open from "FTP/SFTP SERVER", but when I put in the info, its not correct. Can someone please explain to me where I'm wrong and enlighten me of any thought process that I've overlooked. I would like an explanation that is specific to: TextWrangler, Xampp, and PHP working together. I just learned HTML and CSS, so please take it easy on me.

Thank you all!
Henpo1975

Operating System: OSX YOSEMITE 10.10.5

Re: Setting Up PHP Using Xampp, andTextWrangler

Postby Nobbie » 16. February 2016 23:43

Henpo1975 wrote:I would like an explanation that is specific to: TextWrangler,

So do I, so please give us an explanation about Textwrangler, what is it, where does it come from, how does it relate to Xampp and where do i need it?
Nobbie

Postby Henpo1975 » 17. February 2016 02:29

I can answer some of that myself. First, Textwrangler is a text editor that allows you to script and style websites using HTML and CSS. Xampp is just the all in one kit that contains:APACHE, MYSQL, and PHP. PHP is server-side programming, while HTML/CSS are not. PHP and MYSQL are for programming and building databases of "Dynamic Websites". I'm no expert as I'm fairly green myself, but if you go to the bottom of the page in TextWrangler, there is a place where you can select the type of scripting you wish to be doing, meaning: PHP, HTML, CSS and so forth. Lastly, Apache is just an open source web server that allows you to test your scripts locally before publishing them to the web.
Henpo1975

Operating System: OSX YOSEMITE 10.10.5

Postby Nobbie » 17. February 2016 11:49

I know Xampp very well, but i dont know Textwrangler. As this is a Xampp Forum (not a Textwrangler Forum, neither an OSX Forum), i have no idea how to answer your questions. I can use Xampp without Textwrangler and I dont know, how Textwrangler works in conjunction to Webservers. I dont think that someone may answer your questions here, as Textwrangler is pretty unknown to Xampp users. It is not part of Xampp.

P.S.: I can explain how to start your own PHP scripts in a browser, but this of course does not affect Textwrangler. You simply have to put your own PHP (and/or HTML) files into the htdocs folder, you may of course create a subfolder in htdocs and put your files there. Lets assume, your file is called test.php and you put it into the folder "myfolder", which has to be a subfolder of htdocs. In that case you have to enter http://localhost/myfolder/test.php into your browser in order to see the output of your PHP test file.

If you simply call for http://localhost in your browser, the so called "Xampp Dashboard" should appear. If not, something is going wrong with your Xampp installation.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for macOS