What's this? Bad CPU type in executable.

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

What's this? Bad CPU type in executable.

Postby maddenastrogalaxy » 15. July 2015 11:38

Version: ALL
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6.8

I've tried all the downloads for Mac in the XAMPP website already, but they ALL show this around the end of the installation.

Problem running post-install step. Installation may not complete correctly
Error running /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/ctlscript.sh restart apache: /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/apache2/scripts/ctl.sh: line 50: /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/bin/httpd: Bad CPU type in executable
/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/apache2/scripts/ctl.sh: line 50: /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/bin/httpd: Bad CPU type in executable
maddenastrogalaxy

Operating System: Mac OS X

Re: What's this? Bad CPU type in executable.

Postby Nobbie » 16. July 2015 03:12

Which CPU is running in your Computer?
Nobbie

Postby maddenastrogalaxy » 28. July 2015 13:48

I'm not sure ... I use a laptop, there's no CPU in it, so is that the problem?
maddenastrogalaxy

Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby Nobbie » 28. July 2015 14:19

maddenastrogalaxy wrote:I'm not sure ... I use a laptop, there's no CPU in it, so is that the problem?

is that a joke? Any computer (even laptops) has a CPU, a computer whithout CPU cannot work, thats like a car without engine. The CPU is also called "Processor", nowadays Apple uses processors from Intel, for example an "Intel® Core™ i7-4770K". But a couple years ago, Apple did not use Intel CPUs (or processors), but instead from Motorola. These processors are very different to Intel processors.

If your laptop is quite old (which laptop do you have?), it may stll run with a Motorola Processor. That would explain the error message, because that Xampp Release does not run on the old Motorola Processor, but only on the Intel Processor. Thats the explanation I have.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for macOS