Modifying Wordpress site from another country.

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Modifying Wordpress site from another country.

Postby richnieh » 15. June 2015 23:15

Hi, I am new with this forum and this is my first post. Please don't hesitate to tell me what additional information you need in order to answer my question.

I am planning to build a Wordpress site and host with my own computer in England. However, I am from Taiwan and live alone in the UK and I need to go back home for couple months every year and don't feel comfortable to switch on my computer for months and it is very possible the computer switched off/dysfunctional for various reasons. In addition, I have no one in England that I can trust or available enough to come to my house and check on daily basis. Therefore, I will need to set up a server in Taiwan with exact the same data as in England with the same website so I can continue to manage the database while I switch off my computer in England.

Obviously, there will be some data transfer required and I will try to sort that out. Other than data transfer, I would like to know if it is even possible to do something like that?

Thank you for your help in advance.
richnieh

Operating System: Window 8.1

Re: Modifying Wordpress site from another country.

Postby Nobbie » 16. June 2015 13:24

richnieh wrote:Obviously, there will be some data transfer required and I will try to sort that out. Other than data transfer, I would like to know if it is even possible to do something like that?

Why not? You could also even duplicate the whole PC (incl. the HardDisk and with same Hardware).
Nobbie

Postby glitzi85 » 16. June 2015 22:46

Do you have a special reason for hosting your site at home? The easiest way is to host your site at one of the million hosting proviers and simply work on the online version.
glitzi85

Postby richnieh » 17. June 2015 21:14

Nobbie wrote:Why not? You could also even duplicate the whole PC (incl. the HardDisk and with same Hardware).

Thank you for your reply. I would not want to duplicate the whole PC though. Can you tell me how would you duplicate the database? One thing concerns me is the user account issue. If I have another PC Taiwan, I wish to have control to the website I built and switch off my server in England i.e. I have two servers so I can travel both places freely without concern of losing control of the website.
richnieh

Postby richnieh » 17. June 2015 21:16

glitzi85 wrote:Do you have a special reason for hosting your site at home? The easiest way is to host your site at one of the million hosting proviers and simply work on the online version.

Thank you for your reply. I understand that is the easiest way and I might just use that. I just want to know my options.
richnieh

Postby glitzi85 » 17. June 2015 21:22

Your options depend on the purpose of the site. Are you running a public website or is this just a personal installation for yourself?
In the first case I would strongly recommend using an webhoster anyway, as your question clearly states that you are not fit to host a site yourself. In the latter case you got some more options.
glitzi85

Return to XAMPP for Windows