Not able to connect to MySql

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Not able to connect to MySql

Postby runedog48 » 16. June 2015 23:04

Recently, my mother changed settings in our router. My IP address was also changed, however I believe that is not causing the issue. Every time I try to connect it just times out. This is using pages which worked before, but since the settings were changed, are unable to connect to MySql. Using canyouseeme.org, I was able to confirm ALL the ports are correctly forwarded. I've also ran a different type of server on a separate port to confirm that people can reach me. I'm also unable to navigate to my IP address to access pages. I have to use localhost/ instead of, for example, 10.68.78.95 ( which would go to my index.html ). My friends, however are able to navigate to my IP address which opens the index.html ( which used to work for myself ).

Edits:
My router is a VersaLink B90-755025-15 ( which is totally not meant for any of this but it /was/ working )
Also, PHPMyAdmin works, and Navicat Lite. They can both connect to my DB, as well as a game server on another computer ( which is not on my network ).
Last edited by runedog48 on 17. June 2015 00:49, edited 3 times in total.
runedog48

Operating System: Windows 7

Re: Not able to connect to MySql

Postby JJ_Tagy » 16. June 2015 23:11

If others can reach your address but you can't within your own network, perhaps loopback was turned off.
JJ_Tagy

XAMPP version: 5.5.15
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64

Postby runedog48 » 16. June 2015 23:31

JJ_Tagy wrote:If others can reach your address but you can't within your own network, perhaps loopback was turned off.

Edit: Where would I find the loopback settings? I've searched through my router and can't find it.
runedog48

Postby JJ_Tagy » 16. June 2015 23:54

That is completely router dependent. Sometimes it is not listed, but is blocked with certain settings.
JJ_Tagy

Postby runedog48 » 17. June 2015 00:05

JJ_Tagy wrote:That is completely router dependent. Sometimes it is not listed, but is blocked with certain settings.

I'm pretty sure it's not listed on my router. It's a VersaLink B90-755025-15 ( which is totally not meant for any of this but it /was/ working ). My mom told me the only thing she changed was wifi settings. I'm not sure why it would spontaneously stop working ( unless my ISP did something ). The main issue is I have a PhpBB forum hosted, and it can't connect to the Database. I've tried localhost, 127.0.0.1, and my IP address, and none of them work. I think my servers can connect to the MySql. I think the problem is with the loopback though.
runedog48

Postby JJ_Tagy » 17. June 2015 00:12

runedog48 wrote:I've tried localhost, 127.0.0.1, and my IP address, and none of them work.

That's a problem then, because those internal addresses are not affected by loopback. Loopback is when you use your external IP from inside your network.
JJ_Tagy

Postby runedog48 » 17. June 2015 00:47

Also, PHPMyAdmin works, and Navicat Lite. They can both connect to my DB, as well as a game server on another computer ( which is not on my network ). ( Just tested )
runedog48

Postby Nobbie » 17. June 2015 11:40

runedog48 wrote:The main issue is I have a PhpBB forum hosted, and it can't connect to the Database.

But PhpMyAdmin can connect? To localhost? Or to which server? Can you edit the settings of PhpBB, can see you, where it tries to connect to MySQL? I would think, that PhpBB uses your "old" WLAN/LAN IP for connect, this has changed and now it cannot connect.

When PhpMyAdmin is running correctly, PhpBB should run as well - but you have to apply the correct credentials (servername, database, username, password) as for PhpMyAdmin.
Nobbie

Postby runedog48 » 17. June 2015 16:04

Nobbie wrote:
runedog48 wrote:The main issue is I have a PhpBB forum hosted, and it can't connect to the Database.

But PhpMyAdmin can connect? To localhost? Or to which server? Can you edit the settings of PhpBB, can see you, where it tries to connect to MySQL? I would think, that PhpBB uses your "old" WLAN/LAN IP for connect, this has changed and now it cannot connect.

When PhpMyAdmin is running correctly, PhpBB should run as well - but you have to apply the correct credentials (servername, database, username, password) as for PhpMyAdmin.

That's the first thing I did. I changed the IP to my new one ( in the config.php ). I cannot reach my IP on this machine. ( Note, this used to work using this router ).
runedog48

Postby Nobbie » 17. June 2015 19:22

runedog48 wrote:I cannot reach my IP on this machine.

Which IP? The external WAN IP (usually the router IP), or the "real" LAN IP? Something like 192.168.*.* or 10.*.*.*?

And what do you mean with "i cannot reach"? You (as a human being) cannot reach TCPIP anyway. What software or client cannot reach which IP? Sorry, but your descriptions are very very hard to understand, you have to explain by far more precisely.

P.S.: Before you are going nuts, i will show you, which kind of description i am waiting for: (example)

"If have a PC, which is part of a LAN, and in this LAN this PC is assigned to 192.168.1.23. The router, which connects to the internet, is connected by a provider and usually is assigned by an Public IP in the range of 221.265.*.* (actuallly changing every 24 hours). On my PC is a Xampp installation and the Apache is listening to 127.0.0.1 / 192.168.1.23 / localhost / www.externalblabla.com, where www.externalblabla.com is a Domain name from www.no-ip.com (or similar) which points to the external WAN IP of my router (here you have to apply proper data). On that same PC is a MySQL Server running. I have a PhpBB installation, it is configured to run on 127.0.0.1 / 192.168.1.23 / localhost / www.externalblabla.com (again provide proper data here). This PhpBB connects to a MySQL Database and uses as hostname (or servername) 127.0.0.1 / 192.168.1.23 / localhost / www.externalblabla.com (again, provide proper data). The forum script cannot connect to the MySQL Server."

You got it? I need something like that, and i dont need "I cannot connect to .....", because you cannot connect to any server.

P.P.S.:
I changed the IP to my new one ( in the config.php )

Once more, an extremely poor description. It is impossible to "change" IPs in a PHP or Text file. What you can do: you can change a line in a PHP script, which assigns a certain value to a certain variable. Please, tell us about the line you changed, or simply show us your full config.php... finally you even did not explain, what "config.php" is?! Am i right, is it a file of your PhpBB Forum?? It is so hard and so difficult to understand these extremely poor descriptions.
Nobbie

Postby runedog48 » 22. June 2015 23:21

This question has become irrelevant, my router was forcibly changed back.
runedog48

Return to XAMPP for Windows