Multiple Portable XAMPP installs?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Multiple Portable XAMPP installs?

Postby Booleanboy » 08. June 2015 17:33

I've just started to use XAMPP portable for developing Wordpress sites locally. The problem is that I have many different sites.

Would it be viable to have multiple USB memory sticks each with its own XAMPP/Wordpress site installation? I'd only run one stick at a time and I guess I'd have to ensure that Apache & MySQL were closed down before swapping sticks?

Would there be any problems with this approach?
Booleanboy

Operating System: Win 7

Re: Multiple Portable XAMPP installs?

Postby Nobbie » 08. June 2015 19:23

What about different VirtualHosts (one VirtualHost per Site) and only one stick for everything? One Stick per Site means multiplying Xampp without use - you only need one Xampp, but you need different projects (i.e. different VirtualHosts).
Nobbie

Postby glitzi85 » 09. June 2015 00:33

Please be aware that with Nobbies solution you still would have to make sure you have stopped mysql before unplugging the stick! In this case keeping apache on the stick as well doesn't matter much more, does it?

Is there a specific reason you would like to use usb sticks at all?
glitzi85

Postby jimmydburrell » 14. June 2015 22:02

Yes, that would work. However, glizi85 is correct, the most easily implemented solution is to create a virtualhost config for each of your wordpress sites. These virtualhost configs go into the "C:\xampp\apache\conf\extra\http-vhost.conf" file on Windows.. similar location on other OSes. A config for an individual wordpress site, a.k.a virtualhost might look something like this:
Code: Select all
<VirtualHost *:80>
   ServerName symfonytestapp.dev
   DocumentRoot "C:/Users/jburrell/Sites/symfony/web"
        <Directory "C:/Users/jburrell/Sites/symfony/web">
           Allow From All
           AllowOverride All
           Options +Indexes
           Require all granted
        </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

The "DocumentRoot" points to your HTML folder. Don't forget to restart Apache after you make your additions / edits!

Hope this helps!

Jim...
Author of HOSTSignalz, http://hostsignalz.com
The easiest way to create and manage virtualhosts for Apache on Windows
jimmydburrell

Operating System: Windows

Postby Nobbie » 15. June 2015 13:15

jimmydburrell wrote:However, glizi85 is correct, the most easily implemented solution is to create a virtualhost config for each of your wordpress sites.

That was me (Nobbie), not glitzi85.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Windows