Huge issue with XAMPP's backup and restore feature

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Huge issue with XAMPP's backup and restore feature

Postby jjmpsp » 19. May 2015 12:00

Hi, I originally posted this question on StackOverflow last night:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/30314546/huge-issue-with-xampps-backup-and-restore-feature
But a user there suggested that I post here too.

I had a ton of permission errors with my XAMPP installation, so I decided to uninstall and start over to avoid hassles with figuring out the correct permissions. I used the XAMPP backup and restore tool for backing up all of my websites and databases from my local XAMPP installation on my mac. The result of the backup was a 900MB shell script file. Then I tried to restore the backup file generated by the script to a new installation of XAMPP using the command 'sudo /Users/Joel/Desktop/xampp-backup-18-05-15.sh', but I got some strange errors upon doing so:

Joels-MacBook-Pro-2:~ Joel$ sudo /Users/Joel/Desktop/xampp-backup-18-05-15.sh
Checking integrity of files...
egrep: md5sums: No such file or directory
md5: *: No such file or directory
Restoring configuration, log and htdocs files...
tar: Error opening archive: Failed to open 'data.tar.gz'
Checking versions...
cat: VERSION: No such file or directory
Installed: XAMPP 1.8.2-6
Backup from: XAMPP
The backup sofware is not able to handle different XAMPP versions.
Your backuped configuration from may not work with 1.8.2-6 and may need manually corrections.
XAMPP: Do you want to continue [nein] y
Let's try...
Restoring MySQL databases...
/Users/Joel/Desktop/xampp-backup-18-05-15.sh: line 184: *.sql: No such file or directory
* FAILED: cat: output: No such file or directory
Restoring MySQL user databases...
/Users/Joel/Desktop/xampp-backup-18-05-15.sh: line 193: mysql.sql: No such file or directory
MySQL user FAILED: cat: output: No such file or directory
Backup complete. Have fun!
You may need to restart XAMPP to complete the restore.
Joels-MacBook-Pro-2:~ Joel$

Why isn't the version of my previous XAMPP installation showing on line 12? I don't actually remember which version of XAMPP I had installed so this is my problem. Is there any other way of finding this out?

Also, I think the XAMPP backup and restore FAQ page should be updated saying that it doesn't support different versions of XAMPP as I may have potentially lost all of my work here!
jjmpsp

Operating System: Mac OS

Re: Huge issue with XAMPP's backup and restore feature

Postby jjmpsp » 19. May 2015 13:14

Is there any way I can extract the data from xampp-backup-18-05-15.sh? This is really bad, If I can't get this data back it will mean I have lost hundreds of hours of work! Can somebody please help :(
jjmpsp

Postby Nobbie » 19. May 2015 14:56

Can you upload the whole backup file somewhere? I can try to download and try to restore it.

One major problem is, that this backup and restore is not recommended and when I started it, i received a message like "this is experimental" or similar. It would have been far better to use standard backup software instead of this unsafe procedure.
Nobbie

Postby Nobbie » 19. May 2015 15:00

jjmpsp wrote:Also, I think the XAMPP backup and restore FAQ page should be updated saying that it doesn't support different versions of XAMPP as I may have potentially lost all of my work here!

Did you read the FAQ? This is the first line of the backup / restore page:

Warning: The backup and restore functionality is still under development and may not work correctly.

Why did you ignore this warning without any caution?
Nobbie

Postby jjmpsp » 19. May 2015 16:05

Nobbie wrote:Can you upload the whole backup file somewhere? I can try to download and try to restore it.

One major problem is, that this backup and restore is not recommended and when I started it, i received a message like "this is experimental" or similar. It would have been far better to use standard backup software instead of this unsafe procedure.

Hi Nobbie,

I have just uploaded the backup file. I will PM it to you if you'd be willing to give it a try, it would be greatly appreciated :)

I've learned my lesson in this particular instance, I will backup normally in the future. I just thought the backup script would be a quick and easy solution to restore XAMPP data at first, but I'd already removed my files before I realised it wasn't :(

Thanks
jjmpsp

Postby Nobbie » 20. May 2015 12:42

jjmpsp wrote:I just thought the backup script would be a quick and easy solution to restore XAMPP data at first, but I'd already removed my files before I realised it wasn't : (

No,its not quick and easy, its quick and dirty and does not work. FORTUNATELY i could retrieve the whole data, i will send you a message with two download links, i seperated the contents of the xamppfiles folder into a huge ZIP file from the databases of MySQL, which i put together into another ZIP file.
Nobbie

Postby Nobbie » 23. May 2015 10:28

Not more interested in your backuped data?? I will remove it now from my server and my harddisk.
Nobbie

Postby jjmpsp » 24. May 2015 12:27

A huge thank you to you @Nobbie !

Can I ask, how did you manage to restore the data?

Sorry for the late reply too. I will respond to your PM now.
jjmpsp

Postby Nobbie » 24. May 2015 17:25

I looked into the file with "more" in a terminal und tried to understand how it is mentioned to work. There are some shell commands in the beginning and after a certain number of lines a huge amount of binary data is appended to the file. I managed to split these parts into two files and finally i unzipped and "untared" ("tar" is an archive command) the binary part, what finally results in the files i sent to you.

You wont succeed to do so, it needs quite a lot of Unix Knowledge.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for macOS