Obtaining Old MySQL Files From Damaged PC

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Obtaining Old MySQL Files From Damaged PC

Postby haslamjd » 15. May 2015 19:58

The motherboard died on my old computer and I now have a new desktop PC. The problem is that my old XAMPP MySQL database files were on the old PCs hard-drive, and of course I wasn't able to export my databases before the old machine died. Also, the old hard-drive had a virus or other malware on it that I was trying to clean off when the motherboard died on me. So adding the old hard-drive as a master boot drive to a new system is not my preferred way to get back my old files. I just need to get what I can off it and then toss it.

Any way, I have installed XAMPP 5.6.8 on the new computer. I am now wondering if I add the old hard-drive as a external USB drive to the new computer, how and if my new installation of XAMPP/PHPMyAdmin can/might access the old MySQL database files and try to export the databases off as SQL files.

Is that even possible to access files on one drive from another using PHPMyAdmin? Is there another way?

Thanks for any advice you might offer.
haslamjd

Re: Obtaining Old MySQL Files From Damaged PC

Postby mark.mcdonald » 15. May 2015 20:51

All you need to do:
- Transfer the xampp installation from the old drive to a space on the new drive (ideally the same place). E:\xampp (old C:\xampp) to C:\xampp (new C:\xampp drive)
- Start xampp and export the database.
- Now copy the working installation to somewhere else and install the new xampp 5.6.8 in its place.
- Start the new xampp and import the database .sql file.

To do this I would recommend booting in safe mode if you fear viruses or malware coming over from your old drive prior to doing any of the above steps.
mark.mcdonald

Operating System: Windows Server 2012 R2

Re: Obtaining Old MySQL Files From Damaged PC

Postby haslamjd » 15. May 2015 21:06

Thanks. I will give this a shot.
haslamjd

Return to XAMPP for Windows